Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever had something like this happen?  (Read 914 times)
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:35:45 PM »

To start out, I've heard of cbers bleeding over into the 10 meter band but I've never heard of it on 2 meter.  Especially not over a repeater.  Yesterday I thought would be a good time to change the oil in my truck, so I left my 2m mobile on scan and got to work.  I kept hearing someone say, "Break 14, break 14 for a radio check."  It sounded like a little girl over and over, but by the time I  crawled out from under the truck, my radio was already scanning again.  After awhile a mans voice started doing it, I waited and saw it was coming from a preset repeater with no pl tone but a "-" offset, it was 146.980.....I said my call sign, and nothing.  So I thought ok he can't hear me because a cb can't do offsets that I know of.  I said my call letters again and asked if anyone else monitoring the freq was hearing the interference, and the guy answered back!  He said he had just installed a radio in his truck and was wanting to test it.  I proptly notified him he was WAY out of band and what he was doing was against FCC rules and he needed to take his radio to a repair shop.  Anyway I found out this guy found instructions online to do a "peak and tune" and it caused that.  Anyone else have a story like that?  I thought it was probably a one in a million thing.  Maybe I just haven't noticed before now.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 01:13:50 PM »

Peak and tune, my butt.

He was using a two meter rig without a license.

I've seen them selling 2m FM rigs at truck stops, but of course you can buy one anywhere including eBay or HRO.  Nobody checks for a license when you buy a rig.

WB2WIK/6
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 01:35:38 PM »

Well actually I do believe it was a cb, he sounded very grainy and monotone.  I may be mistaken but either way he would have had to know how to do offsets if it was a 2m.  The only thing I thought was weird was the freq being so high, so you may be right on the 2m rig.  The only place around here thay sells those radios is about 40-50 miles away.  If it was cb he had a very broadband receive going on, lol.  My question I'd like to know is, is it illegal for me to keep talking to this guy?  I'd like to help him out but I was worried about talking to him any longer than I did just to notify him of him problem.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:44:27 PM »

You can't receive and transmit 11m AM signals and have them received on a 2m FM rig, must less you talk back to them.

It was a 2m rig they were on, plain and simple - and illegally. 2m rigs are available all over eBay, so distance from you isn't a consideration.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:44:23 PM »

That makes sense but why would the guy be saying "break 14"  if he wasn't looking the number 14 on the radio like the channel?  Thats what I'm confused about.  Maybe he was just dumb, when I leave work today I'm going to call for him and see if he might be listening and I'll just ask the model and brand of his stuff.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »

<< That makes sense but why would the guy be saying "break 14" if he wasn't looking the number 14 on the radio like the channel?>>

Who knows? Even if the guy was running a KW on 11m, right across from your house, there virtually no chance his signal is getting into your 2m rig and even LESS chance that you could talk back to him.

The quality of his audio means nothing in this instance.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »

hi brian,

perhaps the radio was used or stolen, and the
frequency is he was using is #14 in memory ?

73 james
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »

..I would buy into the Number 14 in the memory. Stolen? Or sold to this nit wit as an 11 meter rig?
27 meg's or 146'megs...he may have not known the difference.
Happy New year all
JohnB
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »

CB my butt...no way, no how.  Someone has an unlicensed 2 meter rig. Peak & tune? That is BS. You might be able to peak & tune the finals for an extra watt or so, but thaqt won't cause intermod on 2 meters...never, ever..

No CB. Period.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »

Most of the newer 2M rigs have a built-in automatic offset. If he tunes to hear the repeater signal he will automatically transmit with the proper offset.

There is no way on Earth that someone with an 11M AM CB is going to communicate with someone on 2M FM. He probably got a 2M ham rig somewhere and thinks it is a CB.
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »

Well that settles it then, I thought about the channel 14 reason right after I posted the reply.  I haven't heard the guy on anymore and I'm not going to try to contact him. It would be interesting to know what kind of antenna he was running because most cbers I know have the big ss whip.  He just had no idea what he had, maybe if he takes somewhere to get it "fixed" like I suggested he may become a ham later.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »

Sure wish "I" knew how to "peak and tune" an AM CB rig to come out FM on 2 Meters.  I'm sure it would be worth an article in QST, or at least QEX.  (Or maybe just J.I.R.)
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »

KJ4AJA,

FYI - Your eHam Name and FCC license name don't match up.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »

Sorry,

My mistake J vs. G.  I was trying to figure out the geographic area your were in.

73's
Brian
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:33:42 PM »

Yeah I'm from NW Alabama and it was heard over a repeater in the Cullman area.  After talking with some others I'm sure it was just a fluke redneck with a 2 meter believing it was a cb, lol.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: