Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help  (Read 915 times)
KI4HBX

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

I am trying to choose between the Diamond X300A and the X50A. I know one is bigger and has more gain, I will only be putting it up about 25 feet, Which would be better for the money? Thanks
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 04:36:41 PM »

What are you putting it up for: Simplex or repeaters? I assume FM only and NOT any SSB work as that should be horizontal as that is what everyone uses on weak signal work.

Dan S.
KO1D/3
KI4HBX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »

no ssb just simplex and repeater.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »

Well if you are only using it for repeaters and local simplex go with the less expensive model and use the extra money on some LMR400 or LMR600 coax. Cutting down on line loss will be just as effective as a higher gain antenna.

Also one of the interesting things about antennas is that while you want gain you also need to consider pattern. Some of these alleged high gain antennas have really funky lobes that leave you with odd weak spots. If you can, see if the manufacturer will let you see the gain plots. Then get the one that suits your needs. If you need a locally oriented antenna then look with flat or even depressed lobes. If you need an antenna that goes further afield or will work OSCAR birds then get something with a higher takeoff angle.

Good luck!

Dan S
KO1D/3
KI4HBX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:46:15 AM »

Thanks I have decided on getting a Comet GP3 and some LMR400 UF. I hope I made an ok decision. Thanks for the help.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:54:16 PM »

Yeah if you are only interested in local FM repeater and simplex that should work. Over time tweak the set up as your needs and interests evolve.

Dan S
KO1D
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »

LMR 400 is a great choice for coax for any VHF/UHF run up to about 75 or so feet.  
But unless you are running the coax around a rotor, Or some other constantly flexing situation, You really dont need the more expensive UF (Ultra Flex) type. In fact, the plain LMR 400 is slightly lower loss than the UF type, And only about .69 cents a foot in shorter lengths, The UF version just over a buck a foot........

While LMR 600 IS very good coax for runs a little bit longer, IF you would need to have a longer coax run, It is generally much cheaper to find some good used 1/2" Andrew Heliax at a swapfest or two way radio dealer (Or even some good used 7/8"), Complete with connectors for much less than the LMR 600 with its fairly expensive connectors would cost you new.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: