The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is 2m/70cm in your area?  (Read 1482 times)
AE5EH

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2008, 05:02:56 AM »

I'm so grateful for HF, and 2m & 70cm SSB. The 2m/70cm bands here otherwise are a FM wasteland of mindless goobers and repeater land brain damage. How is it in your area? Thanks god for 2m SSB.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:30:04 AM »

Quite a bit of activity on both FM and SSB here.  FM is more hours per day and mostly a lot of mobile stations; SSB is more evening hours (and early morning weekends) and point-to-point home station work.

No mindless goobers I know of.

We have a local 70cm network of linked repeaters that covers all of southern CA from a dozen mountaintop sites; you can get into it with a hand held and 1W from almost anywhere and there's lots of interesting conversation there -- a lot of it is about experimenting, antenna building, DXing, etc.  Tune across the system and it sounds like you've tuned across a 20m SSB QSO, except it's FM and a lot of it is D-Star (digital).

WB2WIK/6

KC2RGW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07:37 PM »

It's all what you make of it.

I'm saturated with repeaters and with people in NJ/NY area so you can find a bit of anything depending on the repeater and the people on it at the time.

People say simplex is dead around here.  It's amazing what 15mins of calling and reeling in some conversations will do to a frequency.  I frequently get six or more people in a round table humming along with a little effort.

The art of conversation is lost on most people and surprisingly enough, on a lot of hams.  With practice you can steer the topics around and encourage people to respond in constructive ways.

Biggest tip, ask questions more often than make statements, it keeps things moving.

I like 2m simplex quite a lot and it's funny how 'relieved' people seem to be to have a nice rag chew there.  I drag as many people over to simplex as I can, I prefer it to repeaters any day.
KE6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »

Activity is not real busy in the Sacramento area, but it isn't slow either.

There is a diverse bunch here.  Most of the repeaters have little activity.  

There are a few groups of hams that get on simplex and rag-chew during the commute hours.

Surprisingly, there is more rag-chew activity on 2 meter SSB here than there is on simplex.  

70 cm activity has really declined here over the PAV PAWS restrictions on repeaters.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:00:54 AM »

A couple of 2m freqs aren't much better than the craziness on CB, but 70cm works great here in West L.A. My only gripe is that the band has so many closed repeaters. I've never worked 70cm SSB, but am told it's pretty awesome when the tropo ducting is up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: