Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond SG7500A  (Read 845 times)
K9BDG

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »

I got a a Diamond SG7500A antenna to use on my truck fro 2M/440. When I tested the installation it showed a short on my multimeter, yet it seems to work OK. Is it normal for these antennas to show a short with a multimeter?

I also tested the same mounting locations with a Comet SBB-5 and it showed an open circuit. So the DC short is definitely in the SG7500.

I realize that RF impedance is very different from DC resistance, but I normally just do a simple basic check with a multimeter to make sure the cable or mount didn't get damaged.
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:49:42 AM »

Maybe.  Its theoretically possible to have an antenna that is an RF radiator be a DC short.  A half wave end fed with a tapped LC to ground would be a DC short when measured at the feed point.

You need to know what kind of antenna you have.

SWR or FWD vs Reflect power should also give you a good idea of whether it is installed properly.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:36:07 AM »

Many antennas show a DC short across the feed. This is normal.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K9BDG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »

Thanks for the info. Just needed to verify.

Either way I measured the antenna tonight and it doesn't show a DC short anymore, so maybe I just messed up when I initially measured.

The SWR seems to be pretty good when mounted to the hatch, lower than 1.5 on both 2m and 440 across both TX spectrums.

Andries
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: