Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bouncing VHF/UHF off UFOs  (Read 954 times)
SCUBA

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2008, 06:30:07 AM »

Greetings,

Preface: I did a cursory search of the forums to see if this "idea" had been posted before, the keyword "UFO" mostly triggered messages about slinky dipole antennas.  So, here goes:

According to a multitude of reports, there are locations with a propensity of UFO sighting occurrences, and likely repeat sightings.  There are reports of UFO craft that are stationary for a while or loiter in a given area.

In light of that, has any thought or planning been given toward bouncing VHF or above off the UFO craft?  It would seem relatively easy, given that hams have proven the capability to bounce signals off moving fixed-wing aircraft.

Successful bounces might yield interesting DX and tend to validate the arguments of those organizations that track UFO objects (might depend on the UFO altitude, and whether the object is metallic).

Examples of repetitive UFO sightings:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread382414/pg1
http://www.mufon.com/

Disclaimer: No, I'm not arguing one way or another as to the existance of extra-terrestrial aircraft; objects are there, they're unexplained, and they might be useful for bouncing signals. No, I'm not trying to cause anyone to believe anything.  No, I don't belong to MUFON.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »

I tried it but they caught on and came after me.

I'm still running.

:-)

Won't talk about "UFOs" but hams have definitely reflected VHF-UHF signals off airborne reflectors that were put in place for just that purpose, like the old "Echo" satellite program.  One experiment I was part of, along with hundreds of others, was a test when an ionized gas was purposely released along the mid-Atlantic coast about 30 years ago (I think from Wallops Island, VA NASA facilities).  Boy, did that work well -- for a little while.

I was in northern NJ  on 144 and 432 MHz SSB and, along with many others, exchanged strong signal reports with stations in Florida during the active reflection period, which lasted some time -- I think at least a few hours.  Contacts to 1000+ miles with strong signals are not normal on those frequencies, so there's little question the unique propagation was the result of that experiment.

UFOs?  I'll stick with that meaning "Ultrastable Frequency Oscillator."

WB2WIK/6
K7SU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

Rather than use these craft to bounce off signals, which is a curious idea in itself, I think we should try to make contact with them and see if, with their obvious advanced technology, they could make some sunspots for us.  I'm sure they could do something to make some sunspots for us.  

Of course, I realize this would do little to help out the V/UHF contacts, and to that point, perhaps we should investigate your idea.  Or, if we make contact with them about the sunspots, maybe we could just give them an airborne repeater and ask them to "go up high" with it.  That would be far easier than trying to bounce a signal off of their craft, or even putting repeaters on mountain tops for that matter.  The maintenance would be far easier...no more climbing the mountains.  Just have them bring it down to us.

Maybe, through this process, we could interest the "aliens" in becoming hams.  However, I'm not sure how the world licensing authorities would handle the term "alien" in this context.    

:>)

K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »

Maybe Riley could shed some light on the subject?
...wow !
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »

"
I was in northern NJ on 144 and 432 MHz SSB and, along with many others, exchanged strong signal reports with stations in Florida during the active reflection period, which lasted some time -- I think at least a few hours"

Cool!

"Won't talk about "UFOs" but hams have definitely reflected VHF-UHF signals off airborne reflectors that were put in place for just that purpose"

As a newbie to VHF/UHF with low antennas and low power, I think I've had the benefit of bouncing signals unintentionally off airborne reflectors as airplanes head overhead.

There are some 432 contacts in my log from contest periods that I doubt would have been possible otherwise... only a few hundred Hz doppler shift too ;-)

With the UFOs passing at 3/4 the speed of light, you're going to get doppler shifted right out of the ham band.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:51:49 PM »

Before we just go willy-nilly directing RF at UFOs, perhaps we should ask the aliens if they mind.  The next time I am abducted, I will speak with the aliens about this and get their take on it.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »

Would that be third party traffic? I could see a whole lot of problems with the ARRL (Alien radio relay league)  (:-)

73 de Lindy
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:44 PM »

...and they can copy upwards of 1025 wpm.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »

>RE: Bouncing VHF/UHF off UFOs       Reply
by N3OX on August 17, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
With the UFOs passing at 3/4 the speed of light, you're going to get doppler shifted right out of the ham band.<

::Now, that's just silly.  Everybody knows you can't go nearly the speed of light in our atmosphere because the mass of the object will start to approach infinity.

This is why I cannot drive through a toll booth at 150 mph: My car gets too big and won't fit.

WB2WIK/6
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 07:44:03 PM »

Many thanks for the informative replies.  

One small suggestion, if I may.  Next time ET wants to phone home, perhaps someone with an ACU-1000 or ACUT could help him out.  Hope ET understands he would need to bring his own [ACU1000] cable (for his phone).
Jack
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »

If you start out transmitting inside the ham band and it gets doppler shifted outside the band does that violate FCC rules?
KK7NF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »

Think of the QSL cards! I have one from NA1SS. Does that count?
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »

I promiced the next I was abducted I would speak to the aliens about this.  Well, last night I was abducted.  We discussed this quite extensively - as I suspected they are not to keen on the idea.  They are primarily concerned it might disrupt their Saturday night poker game - and asked that we not try it then.
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 06:33:43 AM »

I've seen (and smelled) aliens before so I do believe.

One simply needs to go to the next hamfest in their area and they will see and smell plenty of Klingons and Romulans roaming around amongst the regular hams..

So if you wanted to bounce signals off of them, just wait for them to use the hamfest exit.
KJ4AGA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »

If your wanting to just bounce signals off the ufo go right ahead...I've heard people doing that with airplanes.  But if your wanting to talk to aliens bring your interpretor to Russelville Alabama and talk to all the aliens you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: