Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wireless devices (keyboards &mice)  (Read 445 times)
WB5PLJ

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2003, 07:49:49 AM »

Hi all
Their are plenty of wireless computer devices (not talking about 802.11 stuff hear) out their these days. Stuff like keyboards, mice and darn near any other perifferal can be wireless. From what I can tell their are "Bluetooth" devices and "Other" such as Logitech wireless mice that use some standard to be sure but what it is I would not know. Their are also X10 type devices. Does any one have any expirence with these types of devices in conjunction with ham radio? If used on your ham shack computer do they cause noise in your radio? Dose your radio interupt the use of these devices (particularly when used less than three feet from your radio!) How about those X10 devices, do you have your light's and applinces switching on and off when you are working 440? At any rate just general discussion. I have been asked twice within the month about this type of issue and thought I would see what others have to say about it.
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 11:36:31 PM »

I've worked with plenty of wireless computer devices.  The better quality ones that use 2.4 GHz don't seem to be an issue, than again i have never run over 100 watts around them so can't say how they would behave at higher RF fields in the shack.  But then again you shouldn't have to much stray RF in the shack anyway.

One problem that i encountered with the X10 devices is not a direct result of the frequency they use, but the poorly filtered power supplies that they use.  I had some problems with hums, whines, and whistles on HF that would go away when all X10 devices were disconnected from power.  But they were easily fixed with some strategically placed snap-on ferite beads.

The biggest problem i have encountered was with a neighbor using a older model wireless mouse, it worked in the 49 MHz range and would cause little chirps and beeps on the low end of 6m.  That was easily fixed, i bought him a $20 2.4 GHz wireless mouse and made friends quickly.  Not only was he causing interference to me, but i found out when i asked him about it that i was causing interference to him.  The wireless mouse was really jumpy and not cooperative when i ran 100 watts or more on 6m.

Sure it wasnt my responsibilty to replace the mouse, but i had some around since i build computers for a living.  And it was a cheap investment in not only noise reduction, but in making friends with a neighbor that likes to fire up the Bar-B-Q on the weekends!

Scott, KB0NLY

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: