Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Packet Software  (Read 1098 times)
KD7SKX

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2003, 06:31:16 PM »

I have just started getting inot packet.  I have set my equipment up but I don't know anything about the software I should use.  Any one know what program(s) I need.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 08:55:33 PM »

Are you using a TNC?  If so what is the make, model and are you planing on HF or VHF operation?
HyperTerminal that comes with Windows OS will work, but you need to issue commands or write your own scripts.
KD7SKX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 08:59:17 PM »

I am using a tnc.  It is Tucson Packet radio TNC.  I am not to sure of the modle but it looks older.  I can find out soon.
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 03:59:31 AM »

I have personally always liked using WinPack.  You can download it here:

http://www.peaksys.co.uk/

It is shareware so it will put up a nag screen now and then until you decide to purchase it, but the software is fully functional to check it out and decide if its right for you.  Its a nice and easy user interface that is simple to use.

And after all, that's what you want when your first learning isn't it?  Have Fun...

Scott, KB0NLY
KE6CBL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 10:59:20 PM »

I like KaGold, but the price scares some away ($69 without Pactor/Gtor)  Interflex.com  You can easily have multiple connections, run a conference mode (mini-chat room), and much more.  Runs in Host Mode.

If you're looking for the next best application IMO, would be paKet 6.2.  You can get the URL from a simple Google Search for paKet, or lookup VK2DHU on QRZ.com, the author.  Runs in Command mode, like most.

paKet registration is $25, but there are no Nag screens or anything else that says Unregistered.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: