Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux and Ham Radio  (Read 676 times)
KD5HQN

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2003, 06:01:26 PM »

Hello,  I would like to know a few opinions on the SlackWare version of Linux.  As well as where I can get packet software for Linux.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 08:08:31 PM »

Use the Ham Links search here at eHam, search for Linux, quite a few hits.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 09:30:56 PM »

Slackware is good in that it can be customized extensively (Like most Linux distributions) to run on old hardware. Depending on what you have to run it on, and your level of experience, there might be better choices for you.
For Amateur Radio software, go here: http://radio.linux.org.au/ or try SourceForge.
73, Jim
ON4AXV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 08:59:37 AM »

Hoi,

try http://www.n9nu.net/linux/linux.php
or just google.com

73 de on4axv -- Jan.
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 02:19:52 AM »

Not sure about Packet software for Linux, but I think you would probably be better off to go with MS DOS or MS Windows for your operating system for several reasons, including:

1) Availability and sheer volume of ham software, free, shareware, and commercial.

2) If you are using older hardware, then there are still some very fine ham programs for almost all digital modes which will work just fine under MSDOS, which itself will work on minimal hardware.

3) Quality of software. It has been my experience that the current crop of available software which I have seen for Linux simply does not seem to be as "Well Rounded" or "Polished", as their Windows counterparts. Keep in mind that this is just MY opinion.

Anyway, If you must use Linux, then I hope you find something good which suits your needs.
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 08:58:42 AM »

"Quality of software. It has been my experience that the current crop of available software which I have seen for Linux simply does not seem to be as "Well Rounded" or "Polished", as their Windows counterparts. Keep in mind that this is just MY opinion."

For Amateur Radio applications I'd agree and it's the only reason I've still got a windows drive for this machine. If I could find good, functional replacements for my windows Ham Radio software, windows would be gone. Linux is a much better OS.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: