Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola TLD-5082a VHF amp  (Read 485 times)
N5RMS

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »

I have 375 watt amp that I wish to put on VHF SSB.  I am in need of the schematic for the matching Motorola power supply.  This amp was used in the Micor Station, Repeater and/or PURC paging applications.  Anyone have the service manual?  I would gladly pay for the manual or a reproduction of the power supply schematic. email: unosuave@hotmail.com
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 01:37:11 PM »

If you want to use it on SSB, the original Motorola power supply won't work.  Almost everything it delivers is wrong for Class AB1, which is where you want to use it for SSB.

I convert these all the time, and use:

Ep = 2kV
Eg2 = +350v regulated
Eg1 = -55 operate/-140v standby (switched by the T-R relay)

The original Motorola power supply doesn't do any of this.  Its Ep is too low, Eg2 is too low and not regulated, Eg1 is way too high at about -90v.

Once you build a power supply that provides the correct operating potentials, the amp will indeed run about 350W PEP on SSB and will last forever. They are very "robust," as you can see.  Good luck drilling or punching the front panel, it's really thick.

WB2WIK/6

N5RMS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »

Sorry, but your wrong about it not working correctly.  Motorola manufactured this amp class AB1.  Look up the tube data. All I needed was to add a DPDT antenna switch and bypass the screen voltage switch (SCR).  Amp. works great, with appox, 4 watts drive, rated at 600 watts continous! Great reports on the air!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: