Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is There Such A Radio ???  (Read 596 times)
K7DVD

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:26:31 PM »

I need a mobile 144/440/6meter radio that will also allow me to scan TRUNKED 800 MHz radio systems...mostly Motorola type 1 & 2 systems.

is there such a radio?

I see plenty that list 800MHz in the RX range, but nothing that says trunked...

Thanks,
Dave
K7DVD
(ex-KB7ZJX)
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »

None that I'm aware of. Different specializations.

Sounds like you'd need a Yaesu FT-8900 (10m, 6m, 2m & 70cm) w/ a 2m/70cm dual band and a separate 6m antenna for TX/RX (assuming you don't need the 10m FM), (alternately any dual bander and a separate 6m rig, commercial or amateur -- but now you're getting bulky!) and a dedicated trunking scanner w/ a little 800 MHz antenna.

Perhaps use an audio mixer to feed them both to a common speaker?
K7DVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:50:40 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I'm apparently going to have to compromise by buying two radios, one to listen to trunked systems and another to do the ham work with.
Dave
K7DVD
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:00:37 AM »

Why do people insist on making ham radio transceivers into scanners. That is why the radio receivers are soooooooo poor at rejecting intermod and we have to buy new filters.

Buy a scanner for scanning and a transceiver for transceiving.

Sorry for my rant just a huge pet peeve of mine.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »

I'm with you, Dan.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7DVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »

Personally, I have limited physical space in my vehicle and have a professional need to monitor trunked radio systems. I want to buy one unit rather than two. Simple.

I'm also not crazy about spending $500 for a trunking scanner and another $500+ for a mobile radio, plus antenna, mic, etc.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:40:03 AM »

Handheld scanner and a mobile radio or vice-versa.

I cannot help with the cost but if you are looking at APCO Phase I or Phase II you might find some of those radios at hamfests. Not sure if they are both analog and digital but if you can get one and ifnd someone with the programming kit that helps. I do not think you can cover UHF High Band and 2/440 (UHF Low and VHF High) in the same radio however.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

<< Personally, I have limited physical space in my vehicle >>

Join the crowd. Smiley

<< I want to buy one unit rather than two. Simple. >>

It would be, if you could find the radio, which is unlikely.

<< I'm also not crazy about spending $500 for a trunking scanner and another $500+ for a mobile radio, plus antenna, mic, etc.>>

Hey, sometimes you just have to pay the price to get the capability you want (or even need). Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »

A Yaesu FT-8900 (about the only VHF FM ham mobile rig I'm aware of that covers 6m, 2m & 70cm (also 10m), will run about $425 w/ mic, and is remote-able (though they do stick it to you for the seperation kit, so "$500" may be a fair assessment after all if you don't make your own cable & bracket) so the main body may be located away from the thin control head offering some flexibility in mounting. A Larsen NMO 2/70B is about $70 (plus a mount), but a 1/4 wave 50 MHz and a 1/4 wave 800 MHz whip should only be $20 each or so though. Of course you'll need a diplexer to separate 6M form 2m/70cm, so another $70. Diamond has a quad band antenna, but it's a UHF mount not NMO and it may not take the abuse that a pair of commercial grade antennas (Larsen, Antenex, PCTEL Maxrad, etc.) will, but it's another option.

Not sure what going rate is for high UHF band trunking scanners, though it appears there are units (e.g. Uniden Bearcat BCT15) for about $225 that support Motorola Type I, II, & IIi trunking in the 700, 800, & 900 MHz public service bands. Not sure if these would meet your needs.

If you could live w/o 6m FM then your cost would fall quite a bit -- one less NMO mount, one less antenna, no diplexer, (say $100 less in misc. hardware) and $50-$150 less for one of many dual band remote-able faceplate FM rigs, though 6m could be nice if you have space for the longer required whip.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »

I don't know much about the technical nitty-gritty of trunked operation, but I do know it's a very different animal from the duplexed repeater operations we're used to. So yes, unless you happen to be an engineer, an 8900 and a trunked scanner would be the way to go.
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »

I use an FT-8900 in the car with a Comet SB-15 antenna, which covers 6, 2 and 440 all in one antenna. It works great for me! The antenna is rather long, however (54"). Comet also makes a smaller triband antenna (the SB-14, about 36") but I'm not familiar with its' performance. I believe Diamond and Austin Antenna also have triband antennas. For 800 MHz PS reception, unless you're traveling a long way away you could probably get away with a quarter wave spike, or even one of the glass mount antennas.

BTW, with a little patience and perseverance you can find FT-8900s used for $300 or less, and the separation kit can be homebrewed for under $10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: