Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better HT antenna recommendation...?  (Read 473 times)
KC8TBY

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:28:56 PM »

I own two of the most popular hand held transceivers. One of them is the Icom 91A and the other is the Yaesu VX 170.
Although I get fairly good transmit quality from the supplied rubber duck antennas that came with both radios, I am looking for a better (after market) antenna that would be a better choice to optimize the reception possibilities of both radios.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
Tom  KC8TBY
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:13:47 AM »

I would try the MFJ 1717 or 1715 long flexirod antennas. You will notice a big improvement. You can also add a counterpoise by soldering a 19.25" wire to a eyelet connector, that just fits around the outside of the SMA antenna mount. Screw the antenna down on the eyelet. This will give a complete antenna for your hand held, instead of half an antenna.

Further, if you are having a problem with a weak signal always go to a window or outside. Changing locations can make a big difference!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »

Can't speak for all HTs, but be careful with the VX-170.  The SMA connector can accommodate the standard flex antenna or a very flexible, thin coaxial cable jumper (e.g, RG-58C/U) but the connector can be overstressed and damaged by the attachment of long whips.

Already seen it happen, and it's not very reparable if it does happen.  Can turn the little rig into an interesting paperweight.

WB2WIK/6
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »

You might try a Comet SMA-24 or its twin a Pryme RD-98, both are 17" thin light whippy antennas so shouldn't load the SMA as much as some others, say a Diamond SRH77ca.

The improvement probably won't be profound -- Yaesu's  factory antennas aren't too bad -- but it'll help some. Also you could also attach a 19" wire tail on the ground side of the SMA-24/RD-98 for a little more gain.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:25:03 AM »

I have a Vx-150.  I purchased a Diamond SRH77CA and have been really impressed with it. Rubber duck that came with it works fine if the repeater is not far away.  Also look at the reviews here on Ehams for this antenna. It is the SMA connector.
KF6PHV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

How are you going to be using this/these radios?  Obviously, with a HT one not always walks around holding it all the time.  Do you use it as a alternate radio in a car or home, where you might use a base antenna or bigger antenna and therefore hook it up to better ears and output?
Or do you just want better general TX/RX with a bigger, better antenna?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: