Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CAT problems with FT-947  (Read 1115 times)
KI0HA

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2003, 09:31:51 PM »

Hi, I'm trying to connect my FT-847 to my computer.  I have the cable connected to my serial port and have tried several programs with it.  I can send commands to the radio and change bands/modes etc, but there doesn't seem to be any information getting from the radio to the computer.  The readout on the computer screen doesn't update the band/mode information.  If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 03:39:51 AM »

Are both the radio and the software set for 4800 Baud? I had a similar problem, and once I set the radio (and the software) back to it's default 4800 Baud setting, everything worked correctly. Even though the radio *allows* different port speeds, it doesn't seem to *work* well with them.
73, Jim

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 06:42:52 AM »

Two relevant quotes from the FT-847 CAT documentation:

"You will need a serial cable for connection to the (RS-232C) COM port of your computer. Purchase
or connect a  "null modem" type serial cable (not a "straight" type), ensuring it has the correct gender
and number of pins for connection to your system. Note that this type of cable is different from the
type utilized on earlier Yeasu CAT System transceivers."

"It is not possible to engage the CAT System when the FC-20 Automatic Antenna Tuner is in use.
Please disconnect the FC-20 Control Cable from the Tuner jack on the rear panel of the FT-847
prior to commencing CAT System control of the FT-847."

Some Yaesu radios require that the "Data Terminal Ready" modem control signal be asserted, though I don't see this mentioned in the FT-847 documentation.

Dave, AA6YQ

KI0HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 03:52:40 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  You were right about the DTR line.  I made a new cable and crossed the DTR and DSR lines and now I have two way communication between the radio and computer.  The manual for the FT-847 only shows the serial in, serial out, and ground pins being used.

Thanks,
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: