Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-3R and repeater courtesy tone  (Read 1307 times)
K2NNJ

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »

Is there a setting in the VX-3R that would keep me from hearing the courtesy tone of a repeater?

It seems the more the PTT button is pushed the less I will hear it.  But quick pushes of the PTT and I hear it most of the time.

Thanks,
Bob
K2NNJ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »

Some repeaters require audio in order to prevent people from "kerchunking" it. It's illegal to transmit without giving your call sign anyway so just say "w6abc testing".
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:45:23 PM »

No.

What you are doing is keying up the repeater again before it has a chance to transmit the tone. Don't do that, it's poor operating procedure. Keep it up enough and the repeater owner/trustee may invite you to stop using his repeater.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »

I guess "K2NNJ testing" would be better :-)
K2NNJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »

I want to hear it.  When I am talking if I only have 1-3 words to say I hear it.  When I talk anywhere from 10-30 seconds or more, I don't hear the courtesy tone.

I also have a VX-6R and this radio seems immune to this condition.

I think all of you misunderstood my problem.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 06:53:10 AM »

Do you know the batteries are in good shape?  Do you hear
the squelch tail after you finish talking on a long transmission?

It sounds to me as though the radio output dies after a
few seconds and drops out of the repeater, which then
sends the usual courtesy tone.  But you don't hear it
because you are still talking with the button pushed.

Have someone listen to you on the repeater and report
back whether your signal dropped out before you finished
your transmission or not.  If you don't hear the squelch
tail after a long transmission, that is a clue that
you didn't hold the repeater the whole time.
K2NNJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »

I'll do that.  

I haven't had anyone tell me my signal dropped out though.
K2NNJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:29:46 AM »

It seems like there is some sort of delay from the time the PTT is depressed and I hear the squelch tail and courtesy tone, hence why I thought there may be a setting to change.

There are 90+ different setting for this little radio!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »

So if you make a very short transmission the receiver comes back on immediatly and you hear the beep and the squelch tail. If you make a longer transmission then the receiver delays comming back on and you miss the beep and squelch tail? I assume it comes back on shortly after that or you would not hear the response from the station you are in QSO with.

Just guessing, but it could be a heat problem. A longer transmission heats up the radio which kills something in the receiver. When you release the PTT then the receiver is dead for a few seconds until it cools? Do you notice any temperature change when you are holding the radio?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »

That radio has a lot of different squelch features. You might want to start by turning off all of the CTSS/DCS/EPCS stuff (except for transmit CTSS if your repeater requires it). Not sure why any of them would make a difference with transmit time but I'd turn them all off anyway to ensure that you have a basic setup to start with.
K2NNJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 11:44:35 PM »

It does not occur when CTCSS is in +T mode.  I did some more testing and it's not happening in VHF mode either.

Thanks for all the replies.  I will call Yaesu on Monday.  It was sent back once, maybe they did something.

73's
K2NNJ
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 08:24:35 AM »

You probably have either a slow ctcss decoder in the portable or...one repeater has a courtesy tone with minimal delay, since you can hear it with your decode off.

Depending on the repeater controller being used, the courtesy tone may be able to be programmed with a slightly longer delay. It's quite possible the system operator may have an audio delay in the repeated audio to prevent squelch crash from non-commercial ht's, further delaying the courtesy tone.

Most likely, there is nothing wrong with the HT.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »

Is it a repeater tone or did you turn on the WIRES function. That is amazingly easy to do and annoyingly hard to find if you had not heard it before. Happens on my VX7r now and then.
VE6BGM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:03 PM »

Agree with KO1D.  I am not certain if the 3R has the WIRES ability, but most new Yaesu radios do.  It will generate a tone a split second after the PTT is pressed, then will pass the voice through.  IF the WIRES is turned on, the first part of voice transmission will be covered by the tone beep.  As was just mentioned, make sure that the WIRES is not enabled.  Would suggest testing this on simplex and not a repeater.  I am amazed how many newbee's and amateurs with a new Yaesu get caught by this feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: