Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New High School Radio Club in need of assistance  (Read 2407 times)
KG7CZV

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »

I am not affiliated with this group/school, but I think their effort is worthwhile. It's a high school physics class organizing its next quarter around amateur radio to work with the practical side of their electromagnetism unit. I threw them a few dollars, please pass the word or help out if you think it's worthwhile as well:

http://www.gofundme.com/n75ecc

Thanks! 

Brian AF7ES

Hello, we are the students of the newly formed Amateur Radio Club of LakeView Technology Academy. We are in need of funding so that we may build an amateur radio station at our school and experiment with wireless technology.

Before we get too far into the how and what, we need to explain the why. This year in our Physics class our teacher Mr. Overocker wanted us to find deeper connections and plan some of our own lessons for the fourth quarter when we study waves, sound, light, electricity, and space. During one of our brainstorming sessions we found that the FCC Amateur Radio Technicians Exam covered ALL the standards we needed and opens up some REAL COOL experiments and hands on activities like communicating with others, working satellites, the international space station, and bouncing signals off the moon.

Armed with this goal we wrote two grants and unfortunately have been denied the first one and still have not heard a thing about the second. It was a tough lesson for us to learn, and Mr. Overocker posted our story to the Ham Radio Operators Group on Facebook. We are overwhelmed with the level of support and enthusiasm of the larger ham community. They recommended we put up this gofundme campaign and as you see Mr. O. got us the permission to do so.

Working with the Ham Radio Outlet we have put together a list of equipment that will get us started yet give us the flexibility to try as many activities as possible. This equipment includes:
 A mobile dual band base station and power supply
Two different antennas (one for basic communication and the other more aimed at satellite work.)
A few hand held radios to share the experience and practice with.
An upgraded antenna for the hand helds to better escape our metal school building.
Cabling and other accessories
Two TNC for doing digital modes
A small solar array, controller, and battery for learning about off grid work.
A few reference books to help us study for the exam

Members of the Ham Radio Operator Group have also indicated that some of them would like to donate some spare equipment to our group and this is awesome as well.
Please send material donations to Mr. Overocker at our school:
 Timothy L. Overocker
 LakeView Technology Academy
 9449 88 Avenue
 Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158

We worked very hard on our previous grant applications and they contain all the details of our project. Please take a moment to look at them if you would like to.    http://goo.gl/4xw4o2

Using one of Mr. Overocker's favorite classroom quotes, "If you have any questions, comments, concerns, hope, dreams, or fears. Please share them with us below and we will answer them the best we can."

We are excited to “meet you on the bands” and thank you for time and support.

Sincerely
The Students of the LakeView Technology Academy’s Amateur Radio Club
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

There's a guy Joe WB2JKJ that advertises month after month in QST and says that he represents the RADIO CLUB OF JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL 22 in New York.  Their contact email is crew@wb2jkj.org
Anyway, this guy (organization) claims to be a non profit organization and they are always calling for donations of old radios and other amateur radio gear.  Apparently they provide equipment to other educational based amateur radio clubs across the country; why else would they be collecting unused radios and gear? Anyway they have a net centered in the New York area on 7238 every morning at about 7am EST.  I never check in but I've got to believe that if he is adverstising in QST all these years calling on hams to donate radios that he may have some surplus gear to share with this group you wrote about.  Why don't you contact him and let us know how it goes. Or please pass this to the group directly and have them reach out to Joe WB2JKJ.
KG7CZV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:27 PM »

I'll pass that along, great tip!
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »

Did the Amateur Radio Club of LakeView Technology Academy ever contact WB2JKJ to see if they could get gear from the RADIO CLUB OF JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL 22 in New York?

I am really curious if they made contact and what the response was.  Because this organization advertises in QST all the time asking for donations I've got to assume they refurbish the equipment if required and make it available to school radio clubs gratis.
K5MF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »

Contact the instructor and put them onto the ARRL Teacher Institute.  The class occurs during the summer and teachers who attend get good lots of good "stuff" for their classroom.  They are then qualified to submit a request for a station grant with which they could get a complete ham station for their school.  The ARRL is very generous in helping out schools that are serious about starting a radio club and need equipment.  It takes a little effort, but in my opinion, that is how it should be.  Something for nothing is usually worth what is paid for it.  Get a little sweat equity into the game and you quickly find out who is serious who is not.  I am not telling anyone what to do, but I would not give donations or money to some organization that advertises in QST or online through 3rd parties.  They may be perfectly legit but I am getting cynical in my old age. I would say they should contact local ham clubs and ask for help so they can be properly vetted.  That is just me though.

Tom/K5MF
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:05:47 AM »

Did the Amateur Radio Club of LakeView Technology Academy ever contact WB2JKJ to see if they could get gear from the RADIO CLUB OF JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL 22 in New York?

I am really curious if they made contact and what the response was.  Because this organization advertises in QST all the time asking for donations I've got to assume they refurbish the equipment if required and make it available to school radio clubs gratis.
WB2JKJ accepts donations and they sell them to raise cash for their non-profit. No refurbishment, nothing else.

Chris - KU7PDX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: