The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phasing Line Podcast - a new Ham Radio podcast by and for young hams  (Read 2124 times)
KN4AQ

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:47:37 AM »

Sterling N0SSC is 24. Marty KC1CWF (Chicken With Fries) is 14 (as of November 2016, because even young hams age). They've teamed up to start a new audio podcast called Phasing Line.

http://phasinglinepodcast.com/

Now that I've promoted them, some observations from an antique (67 years old, 51 years licensed) ham who's been in the ham media game for a while....

1. They're freewheeling and fun to listen to, but that's in the ear of the beholder (belistener?). So much enthusiasm they can't talk as fast as they think. Sometimes that means they leave a topic before they're done with it (squirrel!), but that's an occupational hazard in an open conversation.

2. Marty should EQ his mic and get some highs back.

3. The main topic of Episode 1 is contesting (as much as there was a main topic). I wonder if that's something that will connect with many young people? I keep hearing that young hams, or would-be hams, are more interested in digital stuff... though I'm not exactly sure what anyone means by that. Digital modes like PSK-31 and WSPR over HF? D-STAR/DMR/P25/Fusion on VHF/UHF? Something yet to be developed?

The point is that as they begin, I'm hearing what I call old souls in young bodies. We older hams celebrate young hams who dive into traditional ham radio - HF, DX, Contesting, and even FM/repeaters, though for some hams that's still new and radical. Again, I hear that more young (potential) hams will be attracted to newer tech. They'll share the spectrum, but not so much the modes or even values of 'today's' hams.

I don't think that 'old soul' thing is all there is to Sterling and Marty, so we'll see. If they truly capture the attention of a young generation, and don't see their demographics skew into the 50+ zone like mine do on HamRadioNow, I expect I'll actually lose interest. And that may be good thing. Or maybe they'll find a way to bridge the generation gap and appeal to both. And that would really be a good thing.

73, Gary KN4AQ

Gary Pearce KN4AQ
HamRadioNow.tv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: