I'm happy that there is now a forum for the future of Amateur Radio -- Youth. My name is Brian Mileshosky, N5ZGT, and I'm 21 (not exactly a youth anymore, but young enough to still cause trouble). I was first licensed at the age of 12, and have loved Amateur Radio since day one. I'm currently an electrical engineering student at the University of New Mexico, and have finally found some free time to prepare for my Extra.
As for my involvement in the hobby, I love HF (CW, QRP, QRPp, SSB and digital), transmitter hunting, microwaves (10 GHz), running nets, ragchewing and helping out with clubs. I currently write a youth column called "Youth@HamRadio.Fun
" on the ARRL's WebExtra website, and try to do what I can to get more youth active in ham radio. More about my involvement in the hobby is on my website at http://www.swcp.com/~n5zgt
But enough of that. I hope that this forum turns into a great place for all the young Hams out there, as well as young people interested in Ham Radio. So to help kick things off, here are a few topic suggestions:
1) Introduce yourself! We'd like to know about you.
2) What got you interested in ham radio?
3) What can we do to get more young people in ham radio?
4) What kinds of activities are you involved in in Amateur Radio?
5) Are you a member of any youth ham radio clubs? Tell us about it!
6) What other topics would you like to talk about?
I'd like to thank EHam for setting up this forum, and look forward to chatting with all of the other youth. Spread the word and hope to hear you on the air sometime!