Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF education  (Read 912 times)
KB1HMW

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2002, 10:50:29 AM »

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering. I got interested in rf after I graduated. I joined an Amateur Radio club (in MA) and got my Technician class licence. I am currently taking code class to go for the General licence.

I have noticed that most hams do not seem to be interested in the Electronics aspect of Radio. The Electronics aspect of Radios is very interesting to me. RF electronics is very fascinating. This is what got me into Amateur Radio.

An Amateur Radio organization could be a good way for technical people to get together and toss around ideas. Ham radio does not seem to do this right now. Only a very small portion of Hams seem interested in Electronics. These people seem to be very difficult to contact.

Some people may just stay with their studies. I was truly interested in Electronics. When I was getting my degree, I took advantage of things like Heathkits and gained some practical skills. Believe, me this type of knowledge is NOT available in a degree program.

If and Amateur Radio organization was around, that is truly interested in Elecronics, I would have joined it. If you want to increase membership, getting EE students involved with construction projects, would bring alot of enthusiastic people in. Even non-EEs like to do hands on activities, like antenna setup. This would increase interest in Ham radio.

However, if this is not what Ham Radio is about, then it would be changing the nature of Ham Radio. Electronics is not required to be a Ham Radio operator, just some knowledge of setup and safety. However,I feel it would be a nice plus. Understandably, gaining new membership would not be a good thing if the new organization does not resemble Ham Radio. The Ham radio community should decide if this is acceptable.

I am interested in technical projects. Anyone else interested?
AB0TJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 05:32:49 PM »

Actually, it seems to me like it's exactly the opposite. I havn't met a ham yet that doesn't like elctronic gadgets and building electronic things, etc. The only difference in the hams I have met is the level of knowledge they have in electronics. Eg, some like to build kits, others like to make a 55" projection TV without any schematics and from scratch.

Maybe it is different with the hams in your area?

Alex/AB0TJ
AB0TJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 05:38:25 PM »

And; in my last post I totally skipped your main question... I love to do electronics projects also. I am somewhere in between the two examples I gave in my last post; my main area of interest is integrating computers and radios more than they already are. The way my shack it set up right now I could have a day full of QSOs without ever touching my IC-706. I'm also working on setting up an iLink node. I just need to get an interface board and get the local ham club to buy a phone line and internet service. I could do all the rest. Know of anyone that might donate an iLink interface board to a poor young ham? (hihi)

73 and g'day.
Alex/AB0TJ
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2002, 05:10:26 PM »

hello all,
  To tell the truth one of the biggest things that got me into ham radio was my like in anything electronic.  I love computers and gadgets.  Now I love ham radio.  

Steve,KD5OWO
KC0LPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 08:29:27 PM »

We're cousins of a sort--I'm a physicist.  Similar to an engineer, but without the zeros on the end of the salary.  Smiley

I too entered amateur radio with the electronics and theory being a large part of my interest.

I'd love to be involved in a group of tech-hams.  I could certainly learn a lot from the E.E.'s in the group, as much of my circuit design is still TTL!  Ha.

Jim kc0lpv

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: