Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD DURON  (Read 3692 times)
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2003, 09:37:41 PM »

Ok I've been doing some checking and PCI communication device version 001 has a problem (code 28) and PCI Multimedia audio device version 080 has a problem als code 28.
 73 John kc0bmf
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2003, 11:20:55 PM »

That motherboard model has onboard sound, so the sound driver is an easy fix, you can get it from the biostar web site.  Copy and past this link into your browser address bar, this link will take you to the driver download page at the Biostar website for that motherboard.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/model/socket_a/m7vks.php3

If i were you i would download all three of the availabe drivers and install them.  The 4 in 1 service pack is important, it provides chipset drivers, and updated system drivers.  Than you have the onboard VGA driver, that is your video driver.  Then there is the Avance AC97 CODEC Driver, that is the sound driver that you need for the code on the multimedia device.  The 4 in 1 only has one download choice so get that one, for the other two make sure you download the one that has 98SE listed.

There is also a manual available for download for that motherboard.  If you dont have one that would be useful as well.

As far as the modem if it doesnt have an FCC ID number on the modem card, or a manufacturer or model number on it than it will be difficult.  I have yet to see a modem without an FCC number on the modem itself.  They are required to put that on them.

Let me know if you can find any more info on the modem.

As far as your memory there is no problem there, i downloaded and went through the manual for that motherboard.  It will take either PC100 or PC133, which is STILL MADE, and cheap and available!  Don't know why he thought that memory was old.  Sure there is newer stuff out on the market but no need to explain on that.  I suggest you just buy a PC133 256MB stick and take the old one out and put the new one in its place.  Just remember to set the jumper to 133.  The reason why i say replace rather than add on the memory, is because then there is no chance of memory problems due to mixing speeds or manufacturers.  I have had conflict between two slightly different memory sticks before.

Scott, KB0NLY

KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 11:25:07 PM »

Also, just for FYI, that motherboard is still upgradeable if you decide to do so in the future.  According to the manual for it, you can use up to a 1200MHz AMD Duron or Thunderbird (Socket A) on that motherboard.  It doesn't support the newer AMD Athlon XP chips though, but with the release of even faster Athlon XP chips the Durons are getting dirt cheap and i'm starting to sell a lot of systems based on the now.

Scott, KB0NLY

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2003, 12:21:51 AM »

Just a suggestion from back here.  The Duron processor only supports a 100 MHz bus  (Not 133 MHz.).  PC-100 memory will function fine, as will some of the OLDER PC-133 memory sticks.  (The kid was WRONG about the memory not being available any more!)  But newer Kingston, etc. PC-133 memory specifically states that it won't work in PC-100 only systems.  But the office supply stores, Circuit City, and Best Buy all have sale prices on PC-100 memory each week. Watch for that, and you can upgrade the memory by 128 MB for as little as $8 after rebate.  Since you are running the Duron, I'd get a PC-100 memory stick.  But if you stay with the Duron (I doubt an upgrade to an Athlon is worth the $ at this point ) DO NOT change the jumper to 133 MHz.  That will result in overclocking, which can result in instability of the system, and possible overheating.  The slight increase in performance (if the system DOESN'T overheat and crash) isn't really worth the risk.

I do agree, that the reinstall has finally cleared up your boot-up problem, and the system should be more than adequate with at least 128 MB of memory, (I still don't know how much memory you ACTUALLY have, but adding 128 MB or 256 MB is a good idea, since you have an empty slot)and can handle any Ham software/applications for the foreseeable future.

Good luck, and let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2003, 10:41:14 PM »

Hey Guys
 Just a note I have'nt been able to work on it. My days off are Tuesday - Wensday might be monday night before I get back out to the shack.

Thanks for hanging with me

73  John
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2003, 08:31:02 PM »

How Do

I looked at the modem card again and i see         J3 DVO  94V0     The FCC sticker says   model:1301  Reg # rigtai-25896-m5-e   and there's a   p20101000320
There is another sticker that says 126-08301706 made in taiwan.  On the other side it has a kma113020100  Mabey that will help some more. A question about the memory card I count 84 contacts on one side of the card does that mean it's a 168 pin ? And is there someway  to look up what i have and tell exactly what i have by part #. Isee MICRON USA on it.

73 John  KC0BMF
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2003, 09:52:40 PM »

I done some searching on the part # on the memory and now I know for sure that it only has 32MB of memory. For now anyhow. But I'm still not sure if this is what they call 168 pin ? Now on to try to find a driver for the modem.

73 John
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2003, 10:33:44 PM »

I found this and this is what my sticker looks like. Well I thought I copied it all but at any rate this is the just of it all. My sticker has a F and a little c typed inside of a capital C

FCC DoC
Declaration of Conformity Equipment displaying this label would NOT be in this database. The FCC would NOT have any record of this equipment. It is declared to comply with FCC regulations by the manufacturer or importer.
John
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2003, 10:43:31 PM »

I found this

2320-CX-99
    NOTICE OF CHANGE NOT AFFECTING COMPLIANCE
    HAS BEEN FILED FOR THE FOLLOWING
    REG. NO.: RIGTAI-25896-M5-E                  GRANTEE: TURBOCOMM TECH.                                            
    NATURE OF APPLICATION: 56KBPS DATA/14.4KBPS FAX/VOICE MODEM CARD                                      
    TRADE NAME                              MODEL                  
    CNET                                    FB 5614LPA              

That's trade name cnet model fb 5614lpa

73 John kcobmf
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2003, 11:21:51 PM »

That is a 168 SDRam module, 84 pins each side for a total of 168.

I found some info on the modem, here is a link for a web page that has the driver you need for the cnet modem.

http://www.modem-drivers.com/drivers/85/85359.htm

Click on the filename to download, it will ask you for a username and password.  Use these:

drivers (username)
all (password)

They are case sensitive so be sure you type them in lowercase like i did.

When then next page loads just click the Download This File link and presto.

Did you get the sound driver downloaded and get it working?

Scott, KB0NLY

KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2003, 11:13:09 AM »

Well last night everything was going great. But today !!!!!!!!!!!  Last night I loaded the modem driver that you sent me (worked great) i even got on the internet for a couple of minutes. This morning I tried the multimedia driver and got to the point where it said put in CD that says windows 98 and I can't find my disk. I think the kid might of picked it up by mistake so I'll have to track him down. And also now everything on the desktop is really small and when I try the internet it says unable to connect.   Man chicken one day feathers the next.
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2003, 10:49:33 AM »

I'm back

I finally got back to play with this thing. I did get the modem going  in fact I'm using it to send this message. But the audio driver and the multimedia driver didn't seem to do anything. When I done the multimedia driver it made all the icons on the desktop very small. It doesn't have any sound and pictures look as if it's in safe mode.

73 John KC0BMF
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2003, 12:35:57 PM »

eeeeeeeehawwwwwwww  I got sound I got video  !!!!!!!!

The only thing now is everything seems to be so small. Or is it just that I'm use to a larger monitor. This one is 15" and The one in the house is 17". For example the H in eham at the top of the page is 8mm tall on the 15" I'll have to shut this one down and go into the house and measure that one.

Please see next post
KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2003, 12:58:05 PM »

The H in the house measures 11mm tall. The only exclamation mark that I have in device drivers is one for WAVE DEVICE for voice modem. I wonder if thats because I pluged my phone into the back of the computer. The modem has a phone jack labled Line and one labled phone.
 One question about adding memory when I add more memory is this just a unplug and plug in procedure or am I going to have to go through all this again ?
 I want to thank you so much for bearing with me. You have shown the true spirit of an elmer, sticking with it to the end even though at times you probably wanted to bang your head into the wall.

73 John  KC0BMF
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2003, 01:02:47 PM »

Hey that's great, and i bet your starting to learn a few things!  

The difference between a 15 and 17 inch monitor does trick your eyes a bit, depending on how good of a monitor you own.  The high resolution 17 monitors available these days are great.  I would be willing to bet that your other computer is set for a lower resolution, probably 800x600, and that might be the difference you are seeing.

What i would do is check what your resolution is set to, right click on any empty space on the desk top, select properties, then click on the settings tab, set your resolution to 800x600 and the color quality to the highest setting your video allows, usually 24 bit high color or 32 bit high color, if the 32 bit high color setting is available try it and see if everything looks ok, some older monitors dont look good at 32, if it doesnt look right then set it to 24.

Scott, KB0NLY

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: