Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD DURON  (Read 3780 times)
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2003, 01:09:50 PM »

Pluggin the phone into the passthrough on the modem wouldn't have caused the WAVE DEVICE error that you are seeing.  Does the modem have audio jacks next to the phone line jacks?  Some modems have a speaker and microphone jack on them to allow the use of a headset and the phone dialer application in windows to make ordinary phone calls using the modem.

IF that is the case, then perhaps you need to try a different driver or two to fix that.  Try looking on that list where you got the other one, perhaps there is a closer match available then the one you have in there now.

On the other hand, if the modem is working and you dont need those additional features on the modem, then just leave it as it is and dont worry about. If the modem is working fine the way it is now then it wont hurt anything to leave it like that.

YES, the memory upgrade is a unplug, plugin, upgrade.  Simple to do, takes a minute or two, and no you won't have to go through everything again.

Scott, KB0NLY

KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2003, 03:25:32 PM »

Ok Scott I think I'll leave the wave device alone for now. What else do you think I need for digital work ? I read about sound cards and rig blasters, if you could give me a starting point and i'll go from there. Yes I did learn quite a bit and it sure feels good to get it going. I never thought I'd see the day I had a computer in my shack. Thanks again

73 John KC0BMF
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2003, 02:06:41 AM »

Hi John,
     The memory may be just a plug-in operation.  Unless you have no free memory slots (I think you indicated you do have a free slot) it's just a plug-in.   When you start the computer (make SURE it's turned off and unplugged before you add the memory) you may get an error message, saying there's a memory mismatch.  Follow the on-screen message (such as press DELETE or F1 or some other key) to enter the setup, and then tell the computer to save the changes and exit.  That will register the increase in memory and all should proceed normally, except you will have the additional memory available.  (The memory increase will also take some wear and tear off your hard drive!)
    Good luck.
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2003, 05:50:34 AM »

Hi, I'm back.  Have been busy but meaning to get back and comment.  If digital is your main interest now, such as PSK31 or SSTV, you should consider checking out a program called MixW.  Its a really fantastic program that does many many modes, i wont even try to remember and list them all, have a look at there web site at www.mixw.net and check it out.  They do have a demo you can download and try.  It also has a built in log to keep track of those digi contacts!  Or any contacts for that matter, and you can use it to print out QSL cards.

As far as interfaces and so forth, i use a soundblaster card with radio interface cables from BuxCommCo.  He sells the Rascal interface, and makes adapters for all different makes and models, i would almost bet he has about every popular radio and then some listed.

If your interested in tracking satellites then i reccommend Nova for Windows from NLSA software.  Its one nicely put together program, with instant one click keplerian elements updates from the internet, and a clock sync that gets the current time from the nuclear clock over the internet.

There is so much software out there it boggles the imagination, but those two are the ones i currently use and couldnt live without.  By the way the Nova tracking software is used to also provide doppler correction info to my rig control software, which in turn uses the Cat port on the radio to provide hands free doppler correction.  Just have to push the PTT and talk to my hearts content now.  

As far as you want to go is what decides your requirements.  But i think you would be happy with MixW, many people are using it.  

And on the Wave device, have you looked at the back of the modem?  I'm betting that you have a voice capable modem with jacks for microphone and speaker connections next to the phone line jacks.  If you never plan on using that, which i bet you are not since you already plugged in a phone to use that, then dont worry about it.  Also, have you figured out the display problems?  Was it the resolution settings?

Scott, KB0NLY

AKA: The Computer Doctor

KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2003, 08:42:41 PM »

On the wave device, there is'nt a mike jack or anything else on the modem just phone and line. There is a mike jack on the back of the tower though and speaker jack and headphone jack. And the display problem was just the settings. Been playing with it (when I can, little league and all) and it seems to be doing great. One last question. What kind of soundcard should i get. I'll probably wait untill baseball is over before I go much further.

Thanks again for all the help

73 John
WB8ETHJR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2003, 08:06:27 AM »

1. AMD Duron CPU's run on Socket 423 (Socket "A") Motherboards. I have seen a few Running RAM as slow as PC100, but most run PC 133, DDR 200, DDR 266 or even newer and faster types of DDR memory. This is good because it means RAM is CHEAP !!!!!

2. The problem is Windows. Erase WIndows, take it off the drive. I suggest Red Hat Linux. Linux is by far a better OS than Windows ever could be.

Puch the RAM out to 192 Megs or more, get a FREE Linux Disk from a friend (heck, I'll even burn you one). Don't worry, Linux can be copied and given away as much as you want- it's open source.

-Adam
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2003, 06:23:09 AM »

Whoa there Hoss, i wouldnt go that route.

WE already determined the memory it will take, i downloaded and referred to the manual for his motherboard.  And as far as Linux goes, it is a nice free operating system, i got a Linux box on the same network as my XP machines and use it often.  I also have used Linux for file servers, Linux cant be beat in my opinion for that use, i have one file server that has been in operation continuously for two years, the only down times were caused by me upgrading Linux to the next version.  They release a new kernel so fast that it makes your head spin sometimes, but i always wait until it has been proven to be stable before dumping it on any system.

As far as the wave device it is either your sound or your modem, have you hooked up some speakers to see if they produce any sound?  If you go out and buy a new sound card just get anything that is sound blaster compatible and you will be set for almost all ham radio related software.  I have one computer using a Turtle Beach Montego 6 channel (5.1 surround) sound setup, and it works great for PSK as well.  Most of the other systems that i have used have creative labs sound blaster cards in them, the computer i am on right now is using a Sound Blaster Live! card, and it has four channel (4.1 surround) audio, as well as line in, line out, digital out, mic in, etc...  No shortage of hookup options here..

As far as my opinion on matters, Linux is a good operating system, software that is equal to some windows software is not always available, and it is much more difficult for a novice computer user to figure out and take on all at once.  In my opinion if you want to learn Linux your better off having a seperate Linux computer to play with and make mistakes, rather than make a mistake and take your main computer offline for a while.  But, if your up for a challenge Linux will satisfy.  Some of the newer distributions have GUI's (Graphic User Interfaces, the desktop) that are very similar to a windows based system.  Fun to play with, but i wouldnt till you confident enough to take it on.

Scott, KB0NLY

PS: If you can afford it bump up the Ram to 512MB, you wont regret it.  256MB is the minimum i will build with these days, and my personal systems all have 1024MB, or 1536MB, although it sounds like overkill, when you have something working hard you dont want to wait for the memory to catch up.  Such as using audio and video to make DVD's, or any other serious use, gaming also greatly benefits from it, but using the best video card on the market is the main concern in my opinion for gaming.  Working with large files is a breeze when you have that much Ram, and web page authoring on one of my computers takes mere minutes rather than hours.

KD1S

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2003, 07:46:54 PM »

KB0NLY got it right. It's RAM related - with only 24MB (That's an odd combination, what an 8M and a 16M on the board probably.)

Go to http://www.crucial.com - cheap memory.

When you're light on memory it'll be paging to disk constantly and that means slowdowns. Even my aging AMD K6-2 500 boots in a couple minutes under Windows 2000, of course it's got 384MB of RAM.

I have run perilously light on space on my boot volume and that didn't cause any problems other than when I tried to use PhotoShop once day and it told me that there wasn't enough scratch space. The boot volume only had 20MB free - yikes. Had to clean up a bunch of stuff, most notable the backups that WinUpate had made when it installed patches. That sucked up a few hundred meg.

So after cleaning up the boot volume I then set PhotoShop's scratch directory to a volume that had about 8GB free.
ISMAEL

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2003, 03:58:02 PM »

hola
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: