Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Radio - How not to get stuck  (Read 838 times)
K3DML

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2003, 02:40:42 PM »

If there is any demand for this "service", I will be one of the first to offer it.

I think I have THE solution to the problem newbies have when it comes to getting their first HF Radio: What to buy, how much to pay, and will it work for me.

My plan is to sell used HF Transceivers in the $300 to $500 range.  Complete with power supplies, microphones, and, hopefully, a tuner.  These radios will be guaranteed to work.

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - 90% back within 30 days; 50% back within two years.

Any takers?

Dick, K3DML
First licensed at age 12 as KN3DML over 45 years ago.
KC8VCB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 04:40:18 PM »

no offence ment but, are you kidding?!!! is this a joke. $300-$500 dollars for all that.

73 de kc8vcb
K3DML

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 09:16:13 AM »

None taken and I'm not kidding.  For example, I just got the following for $455 + $22 shipping/insurance:

TS-430S with CW Filter
MC-80 Mic with amp
D-104 Mic on stand with amp
AT-250 Automatic Tuner
Matching Kenwood power supply
Matching Kenwood Speaker
Kenwood Phone Patch
All cables

(I could sell off the accessories and recoup enough that the TS-430 could be almost free.  The point is this: I think it takes an experienced ham not to overpay and to know what radios are worth buying - all solid state with WARC Bands - plus it helps if it's a package deal)

BTW, the rig works great and looks pretty good.

Thanks for thinking that this could be a joke.  It simply means I'm on to something.  I'm not looking to profit from this idea. Ham Radio has been good to me and this is one way I can give something back.

Dick, K3DML
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 10:59:44 PM »

What is the big deal, I just sold a kenwood ts 820 , with mike and a couple of coax jumpers and an external freq counter to a tech who just made general for $200.  I have a Icom 730 for $300 and will probably end selling it on ebay.  Your prices are not spectaular or possibly are even high. I sold my icom 706 for 400 and an alinco dx 70 for 300,

I buy a rig and if I like it I keep it and if I don't like it I sell it and buy something else..

I just sold a 1500 watt cw, 3000 watt pep solid state amp for $450.

If you are going to help folks do it at a reasonable price.  Not everyone on ebay is dishonest, I have over a thousand transactions and a feedback of over 500 and have been burnt exactly twice.  ones for $2  and once for $50.  

hope this helps  tom N6AJR
VA3DDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 08:02:39 PM »

Dick:

I think you make an excellent point.

I believe one of the major inhibiting factors to get young people on the air (especially HF) is the fact that entry level equipment is almost US$1,000.

I would be interested in hearing how you propose to 'recycle' rigs?

I thought that you might need some type of charitable foundation in order to get rigs in by donations. However, it seems you have some other way of doing this in mind. I would be very intersted in hearing how you accomplish it.

73 de VA3DDD, Marcel (also KA3DDD) va3ddd@rac.ca
KF3KWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 03:13:01 PM »

I think that's a pretty good idea.  An HT costs much less than an HF rig (new), so I can see why 2m is much more attractive to a new/young ham than a few hundred dollars for an HF rig.  HF is definitely the place for a new ham to be, not 2 meters.  

If one happens to be elmering a kid, and if one can afford it, helping to pay for a nice & used & cheap HF rig, dipole for 20m, and a meter would be a great gift/reward for learning the material and passing the test and getting the license.  I think it would be a shame to elmer a kid, spending your time and his/hers, helping them pass the code and the written, only to have them not able to operate after all the effort due to financial constraints.  If an all-band rig isn't available, maybe one of the MFJ monoband QRP rigs (the 942xx series I think).  Something to get them started, that kind of thing.  

I'm kind of trying to elmer one of the neighbor's kids since he evoked an interest in ham radio one day.  If he sticks with it and is really motivated about learning and operating, then I'd be proud to shell out a little bit of money to help him buy a rig.  Gotta do my part to get someone to take my place when I become an SK.  But that's the romantic in me ;-)  Not everyone could afford to do that, but if you can, why not?  Helps the kid learn that putting effort into something gets more in return than just stuff, it can get people to help you when you're in need.

Anyhow, that's my take on the issue.  Thanks for reading.

73 de Jeff, KF3KWO
kf3kwo@arrl.net
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 07:37:29 PM »

I am getting my HF rig from ebay, they have plenty of good deals for radios under $500, and then I am going to go get my Antenna Tuner and Antenna both from AES online...  I will spend around $700 for the set-up, for some that might seem pricey, but I think that is very reasonable.. Personally, I would rather do business at a online store, or hamfest, rather then message board swapmeets...

73'
+Steve, KD5OWO
KD5OWO@arrl.net
Webmaster, Message Board Owner/Admin
http://urlcut.com/kd5owo
http://urlcut.com/centexyounghams
http://centexyounghams.proboards3.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: