Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youth in Emergency Services  (Read 2383 times)
AI4KK

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2005, 11:19:17 AM »

Are many younger hams actively involved in emergency services? My 16YO son Stefan, KI4JTA just spent a week in Southern Mississippi (Hancock Co) on a jump team with me and was asking how many other kids went and helped out. We know there were lots of teenagers from various church and civic groups around there, but not any hams that we know of. Where are y'all?

He was invaluable as my radio co-operator and navigator; he used a laptop computer with a GPS and mapping software to guide us through the mountains of debris with few remaining streetsigns or recognizable landmarks as we delivered supplies and mapped out coordinates of various water and food depots so the truck drivers could find and replenish them. His youth and energy came in handy for all sorts of projects from erecting antennas to helping carry several 5-gal diesel cans through half a mile of surge-driven waist-deep floodwaters from Rita to get the only surviving local broadcast station back on the air.

We would love to hear from other kids that helped out even at the local level.
KI4FMJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 06:06:55 AM »

while i m only 15 and i love emergency commucations . i helped out for 6 hours  after wilma but wish i could get more . but you know family . anyway i was wondering is it me or is only the youth or the young hams  doing all the emcomm courses around . i have done fema ics-100 , ics-275 and arrl emergency commucations course level 1 . why do the older hams not try to get trained even though they are on the same team HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
73 and good luck
AI4KK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 06:34:38 PM »

Stefan says to drop him an email at stefan_floyd@nospam.yahoo.com (remove the nospam to get a valid address)
KB3JUV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »

I'm very active in EmComm.  I'm only 17 and will be the Delaware Section Emergency Coordinator starting Jan 1st 06.  I'm very active in Skywarn, MARS, and RACES as well.  Just goes to show you that no matter what age you are, you can get involved and help out during a disaster.

Justin
www.kb3juv.com
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 09:22:57 AM »

I'm 17, I didn't help in any of the hurricanes; but  I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get free EComm training?  I'm running low on $ so if anyone hears of free/very low costing ecomm training, please give me a heads up!  KI4JGT 73'S
KI4FMJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 10:09:39 AM »

while free fema training is available . go to www.fema.gov and go under education & training  
AI4KK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 10:20:07 AM »

Very cool Justin. Congrats!

If you keep an eye on the training clases, you can often get reimbursed through various grant programs. An alternative is to buy the books (about $12 ea) and then contact one of your local EmComm examiners for a field testing session.

Most of this information can be found on http://www.arrl.org/cce/

If you look at the links on the top right side, those links to the courses will also let you order the books. There's also a link near the bottom of the page to help you find a local instructor / examiner. Hope this helps.
KB3JUV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 08:11:55 AM »

Yes, the FEMA training is very good (and very free!).  I've taken IS-22, IS-700, IS-100, and IS-200.  Those are normally the good ones for you to do.  FEMA has many more courses though, in everything from Nuclear prepardness to fire fighting.

Justin
KC0KBH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 06:25:21 AM »

I am not in any emergency services, and I am 14, but I do have a bug catcher I made that I use for portable operations that I can also attach to my four wheeler, and I have a cable to go from the battery on the four wheeler to my Yaesu FT-817, so I can go drive to a higher elevation and use that, in the event that the power is out, or my GAP Titan is blown down.  That is my emergency preparedness.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 09:24:02 AM »

Thanks for your help everyone.  I think I'm going to check into the field examination thing!  If anyone else needs something that I might be able to help with give me a heads and I'll try my best to return the favor!  73's KI4JGT
KC0KBH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 07:33:31 PM »

I now am condsidering putting an antenna on my new snowmobile. Wink

Well, I am going to use some Standard HX240 UHF HT's programmed to license free "DOT" frequencies, with a couple vox earbud headsets for an in helmet comm system on the snowmobile.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:45:29 AM »

Hey group,
I was wondering if you knew of any youth centered ham radio websites?  If not i was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting one?  If so please write me back!
TMTYLER357

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 08:50:51 PM »

I really like the idea of a website for the youth as I'm only 14 but I do have one question, what will we do if we have a question and no one else on the youth website has an answer.

sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I don't ask then I will never know.

73 and thanks,
Tyler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: