Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CAP hams?  (Read 10490 times)
KI4PRK

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »

Hey: I'm a 13 year old licensed Amateur Extra Ham, as well as a member of the Civil Air Patrol cadet program. I wonder, are there any other eham.net frequenters who are in the CAP?

I am an Airman First Class, fairly new (6 months). Our squadron (VAWG-117, Leesburg group) is having a Ham Radio Tech ticket course in January. That made me wonder if any CAP cadets are also hams...

So! Any out there? I'd love to chat sometime. I'm working on getting at least to Tech Sergeant in the next three months, I got thrown off course while in Geneva for 3 weeks but I got my first taste of drilling a flight in today's meeting. I did pretty good, I didn't get the flight off step at all and I did flanks, left/right steps, facing movements, and columns. I was going to try column of files, but ran out of time.

73, de Cadet Airman First Class Ernst KI4PRK
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 08:36:32 AM »

Yes, you will find Hams among the ranks of CAP.  At one time, CAP activly rcruited Hams for membership.  There was even a blank on the application form for "Amateur Radio Callsign".  Not only did this benefit CAP by recruiting exprienced radio operators, but their equipment, if enabled for out-of-band operation, added to the pool of available radios for use on CAP frequencies.

Now that CAP is governed by the NTIA instead of the FCC, Amateur grade radios are no longer allowed on CAP frequencies.  However this did not end the Hams' contributions to CAP - they are still providing experienced communicators and technical expertise.

Go for it!  Nothing but good can come from the experience of both Ham and CAP activities.  Congratulations on your Extra Class licnse, especially at such a young age.

E. Allan Thorn
Former VAWG DC
KC0YWZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »

SM Forst from North Dakota Wing, Grand Forks Composite Squardron (ND-005).  Nice to hear from you Airman!  Yes drill is interesting.  I've been in about 6 months as well.  Glad to hear drill is going well, I hadn't started getting in on drill with the cadets until recently so I'm still learning.  At the moment I'm an aerospace ed instructor with the squadron, hopefully I'll start some aircrew training in the near future.  As far as ham radio I'm a general.  So you're 13 and an extra?  Sounds like you know your stuff, good work!  Maybe I'll catch you on the air sometime.

SM Forst, KCØYWZ
KD8ERE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »

Civil Air Patrol is the reason why I got into HAM radio. When I joined a unit as a Senior member, I was introduced to about 15 amateurs alone. They practically ran the communications aspect. The actual DOK for the unit was deployed to Germany with the Ohio ANG. Once he returned, he showed me quite a few tricks regarding antennas. He even showed my how I can use my antenna for DFing an ELT signal. One night while taking the unit's van to my house (I was leaving the next morning for a SAREX), I had been at the unit HQ with another member. I had just gotten my ACUT card, and was still learning how to use the EF Johnsons they had just put into the van. He wanted to have a QSO, but didn't want to occupy the CAP repeater. After that night, I began to study for my Technician license. I've since left the program due to a personal conflict with a commander who is holding a grudge against the world for countless reasons, but I still enjoy firing up the rig, and talking the night away. There are definately HAMs in CAP. Most of your Wing and Region DCs are HAMs. So enjoy all of it while you can!
KX8W

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »

Hey,
I just joined CAP,(actually I send in my application next week), I am going to upgrade to General and Extra this month, I'm sure if I do ham radio, there are plenty of other CAP members that do it to.
KX8W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »

Hi, just thought I'd give you guys an update, I just got my Curry Award this month, and I'll be getting my ACUT the 17th. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: