Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So why do you ham?  (Read 4027 times)
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »

This is a great question.  I've always loved radio, first of all.  When I was exposed to Ham Radio, I was ready to go.  After 11 years, I have some comments for you, things I found I've learned from the hobby after that time.

1. You get very good at Geography, and no studying is required. You will be amazed at how many countries, republics, and islands, etc. there are in this world.

2. You get a bit of a picture of how people in other parts of the world think and see things.  You also learn that in the Ham community, politics is irrelevant, at least on CW.

3. If you have any natural mechanical abilities, you will have a blast just putting a station together and maintaining it.

4. Your knowledge and understanding of electronics will grow tremendously over time. Your practical understanding of math will also grow.

5. You will learn a LOT about weather, the nature of propagation, the structure of the Earth's atmosphere, magnetic fields, even how the Sun works.  

6. You will make great friends, some of whom you might end up knowing your entire life.  Go to next years Field Day.  Help put antennas together, be a gopher for the older folks, you will be very popular, and you will learn what mistakes NOT to make.  Don't fret, you will also meet young people your own age!

7. Get on HF!  Repeaters are fun, and helpful.  On the other hand, you will be amazed the first time you work a state a thousand miles away from you.  Then you work Canada, then South America, then Europe, then Japan, or Russia.  You will then be hooked, like a big old bass on a cool morning.  

8. Your abilities to plan and think practically will really improve, and this is very valuable in future life.  Your thinking will become more organized.  A big part of any problem is figuring just how to get your mind around the problem, and you will become quite skillful at this.  Your reading skills and abilities to follow instructions will also soar.  

You're a very intelligent young man to ask such a simple-sounding but sophisticated question.  The very best to you, and 73.   n5xm

W0TLE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 01:30:36 PM »

I agree with most of the responses you have received to you question. I have been a Ham for 43 years, I spent my entire work life working in the electronics field. Ham radio has been a great source of knowledge for me over the years. A lot of my co-workers in the research labs I worked in were Hams. I am amazed when I see high school kids interviwed on TV that do not know the names of States in their own country. A Ham operator that has been active for any length of time would know their names.(Unless one is having a senior moment) As a Ham you really get to know a lot about geography. A Ham on HF or Satelite also get's to know a lot about people and their cultures. I have been lucky and have Hams I met around the world 30 - 40 years ago that are still the best friends I have. It is in my opinion the greatest hobby one could have.
Get active, join a local club and you will start down the road to a lot of fun.
I operate on HF thru 1296mhz currently and have plans to add 2340 thru 10ghz to my station soon. I operate all modes (including the digital  modes.)
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »

We'll all have differant reasons. All of them are about amateur radio though. Me i like restoring and operating old rigs like drake and collins. I have several of them as well as a couple of complete new stations also. I like pranking around with quads and wires and big amplifiers too. I love cw and the digital modes but what's right for me will be entirely differant for someone else.

Not trying to sound rude but your questions should be self explainatory to you...why do hold an amateur license and not know these things you ask?

You mentioned cb. In most places it's pure filth. One can't even compair amateur radio to that.

73 John WR8D Wva.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 07:19:07 AM »

Why do you guys like it and what do you do? Just talk to random people.
Yes random. Calling CQ and having someone answer half way around the world. You never know where your signal is going and who is listening. Maybe it is a ego trip. Then someone from Australia answers your call. You finish your QSO and then a station calls you from Japan. Then you think for a minute with amazement that 100 watt radio and a dipole antenna was herd all the way around the world.
Maybe you the ( younger generation ) aren't impressed. With cell phones, satellite TV and world wide communication via the Internet. Talking around the world is no big deal. Where the fun comes from is, any ham radio operator in the world can answer your CQ. When your use your cell phone you call a specific person
KI6KGN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »

I've been licensed since June of 2007, and the reason why I got into it is because not only do I work with a fellow ham, It jump starts me into learning about the 2 Way radio business.

Trevor KI6KGN Fremont, California
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »

Frankly, I'm afraid if you're searching for the answers to those questions at this point, you've wasted your time.  Find another hobby for which the answers are obvious to you.
KB3LAZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 12:58:47 AM »

The answer lies within you alone! Why did u get ur ticket? To prove you could or because you wanted to. Some questions can not be answered by others. My suggestion is for you to by a radio key up the mike (or use  keyer for cw) and make a contact or 2. Pick your poison lsb usb fm am cw rtty ect.... The end result will be the same pure joy or boredom. Either way ull have ur answer.
73s
KL7AJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »

I ham....therefore I am. ")
KC8JRV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »

I'm not clear on why someone "tone deaf" would not be able to perform CW copy and sending...   Doesn't "tone deaf" refer to the inability to distinguish one tone from another?  Or are you using the term differently?
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »

Reading through these comments, I recalled seeing another post a while ago, where someone was asking, “What killed ham radio”?

What a silly question!

With all you young folks coming in to ham radio, bringing your fresh new minds and points of view, how could ham radio be doing anything other than thriving?

Even though I’ve been a ham for well over fifty years, I started playing with electronics later than many of you.  I think I was about ten, but I remember the burning interest.  I’d read magazines under the cover with a flashlight, long after bedtime.  I got a job sweeping up in a radio shop, just because I wanted to be around radios.  In those days, we didn’t have nearly the broad range of interest opportunities that are available to you now.  What a thrill that must be for you all!  

In one of the early posts, someone asked why we were interested in ham radio.  I’ll tell you why:

There is magic in wireless electronic communication.

It will completely occupy you, and it will offer you life opportunities in technical fields and job possibilities you cannot now understand.  

I am proud of all you young people, and I wish you well.  

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
W3TEZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 08:01:13 AM »

in my opinion, ham radio is better than cb radio, there are lots of nuts on cb, lot of truckers or not truckers, local base stations, like to joke around in inappropriate ways, have filthy language, and offend those who want to have a serious qso. Thats why i got my ticket, i was noticing some people on cb thought that "oh i got a big 20,000 watt linear amp" and i am gonna walk and talk all over everybody. thats not nice to do that, some cb locals in my neighborhood need thousands and thousands of watts just to talk across the street or a few blocks away, its stupid why you need all that power to talk that distance. the other thing that upsets me really bad about the cb'ers, when they run they're big amps with radios that have had the limiters ripped out of them, is they bleed over so bad on 12 meters, i get full scale on my meter of interference. this also happens on 10 meters but not as bad. And the sad thing about cb, the guys with these amps over 1500 watts, a lot of them are getting a lot of radiation exposure and the next thing you're knowing, they're dead. There was a local guy who used to hang on on cb channel 6, the superbowl, he had an amplifier that did about 22,000 watts, eventually the rf killed him.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: