Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHEAP SSB radio  (Read 41824 times)
KE7ORC

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:23:25 PM »

i am looking for a cheap ssb radio for 2M - 10M range
i dont need anything fancy, home brew is an option.
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »

Here are some quick thoughts:

For 10 Meters look for one of the Radio Shack 10 Meter single banders on e-Bay or here in the classifieds on e-Ham.  QTH.com also has a lot of listings.  You can probably land a good one for a hundred bucks.

For 6 and 2 Meters do the same for one of the MFJ single-band SSB rigs.  These get pretty good reviews here on e-Ham and used ones are fairly easy to find.

There are some older Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu VHF sideband transcievers but they are starting to get "whiskers" now and may not be too reliable or will be hard to get parts for.

As to home brewing sideband gear that's a tough nut to crack.  There are some plans out there, particularly for "tranverters" that can move an already good sideband signal up in frequency.  However, most of us hams don't have the test equipment to successfully home brew sideband gear.  CW is a whole 'nuther ballgame, though.

Maybe somebody will even show up with a reply on this post and have a good used VHF SSB rig they'd part with for a good price.

Have fun in your search.

Gordon, N1OU
KE7ORC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »

thank you.

what about one of the cobra 10M ssb rigs.
they go for 150$-250$ new.

is there any way i could run my 2m fm trancever's signal thrue some device that would change it to a ssb signal.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »

Elecraft has some new transverters

http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm

KE1HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »

I wouldn't say it's an inexpensive rig, but the FT-857D is a descent radio that can serve you in many situations.

160-2 meters +440
Electronic Keyer
200 Alpha Memories
DSP-2 Board Built-in

100 Watts HF Output
50 Watts 2 Meter Output
20 Watts 440 MHz Output
Spectrum Display

Good for Base and Mobile operations. Check around, I believe I saw them on sale at one of the major HR dealers.

73's
KE1HA
KE5EOT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »

Stay away from the non type accepted CB's that operate on 10 meters. They're too limited since most have "channels" and not a true VFO. The Radio Shack 10 meter rigs are good quality for the price. Go with the HTX-100 over the HTX-10, it's the better of the two. I can't advise you on low cost 6 and 2 meter SSB rigs, but I'm sure there are others that can help. Happy Hunting!
KG4CLD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »

One inexpensive 10-meter USB/CW transceiver is the Realistic HTX-100.  I purchased one back in the late 80's new from radio shack. I still own that same radio and I also have picked up several more under $60.00 at local ham flea markets.
As for 2-meters, look for the Icom IC-2000H (2m), or IC-207H (2m/70cm).  I recently picked up the IC-2000H for $50.00.  Shop around and don't be too quick to buy the first rig you see.  There are always bargains out there.  You've just got to look...

Dave-KG4CLD
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »

did you ever get a radio ?

kevin
k6rea
AC8EE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:48 AM »

The first time I ever talked on 10 Meters it was on a Cobra 148GTL that I had been using on CB for many years. I modified it myself. That was a KICK and a very memorable occasion. I'm sure it would have been more gratifying if I had built the whole radio myself, but exciting just the same......and the mod was very simple: Pull an IC pin off of ground and switch it to 5 volts (I think) and retune a few circuits........

Jon
AC8EE
W3TEZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »

those cobra ssb 10 meter rigs have put a filthy taste in customers mouths. I know of a few guys who have had them for cb or just 10 meter use, let me tell you something, these radios are a nightmare, theres a problem where when your keyed up and talking, the rf power likes to drop out and come back in. I know a radio technician, who is a friend of mine, and has worked on these radios, and he tells me once they are messed up, they are a pain in the butt to work on. I own two 10 meter rigs myself. I own the President HR2510, and the HR2600. Both of these radios contain the chipswitch ic and aftermarket final transistors, and many other mods. Its a shame these units were discontinued, but whatever you want to use it for, ssb, work fm repeaters, fm simplex, you name it, it works great. Both my radios have been tuned up to dead key 10 watts and swing to 40 watts on am, 10 watts fm, and 45 to 50 watts SSb/CW. Made a lot of 10 meter contacts, and everybody says i sound really good.
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 05:58:01 AM »

Hmm...out of all of those 10 meter rigs, I say that the 2950dx by Ranger is the best. When the sunspot cycle really starts hopping, you've got 2 bands (10 and 12 meter!), not just one, to play around with, and the rig is pretty capable.
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:33:18 PM »

I have a FM HT for 2 meters. You might find more action with FM on 2 meters, what with repeaters. Just be sure it has CTCSS & DTMF, since there's not much FM pure simplex around here. I had to tinker with the CTCSS to make it work, so I found out the hard way.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »

i am looking for a cheap ssb radio for 2M - 10M range
i dont need anything fancy, home brew is an option.

Why are all the replies buy this, buy that, look
for an older such and such rig in good shape?

Doesn't anybody BUILD anything anymore, even a kit?

Yeah, I realize that this kit is 20m, not within your ever-so-difficult
 to achieve tech license, but why not UPGRADE your Tech ticket
and BUILD a BITX20A 20m SSB transceiver kit from QRPkits.com?
http://www.qrpkits.com/bitx20a.html

Great quality board & parts, super clear assembly instructions,
puts out a solid 10 watts and (God Forbid! GASP!)
you JUST MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING putting it together
AND have blast operating it.

Speaking of kits, WHY doesn't anyone offer a good 10m CW/SSB kit
expressly for the Tech market? Or is it an "Appliance Operator ONLY" market?

Ken  AD6KA
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »

Doesn't anybody BUILD anything anymore, even a kit?

The kit I want to build always sells out in six seconds after it's offered Sad

That's probably OK, I don't really have time anyway.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »

When I was a kid, I built a cheap, simple sideband transmitter. No expensive filters and no complicated phasing networks like an SSB transmitter requires.

It was Double-sideband (DSB), which is a very simple way to generate a voice signal. It takes up more bandwidth than SSB; but on some bands, there's lots of room, so who cares?

There's a thread on qrz.com showing how to build a simple solid-state DSB transmitter. I used vacuum tubes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:57:17 AM by W0BTU » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: