Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHEAP SSB radio  (Read 48925 times)
KJ4DHI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 06:49:32 AM »

I have had really good luck with the MFJ 94-- series of transceivers. They come in 10-6-2 configurations, are really easy to use, and easily light enough to be used portable.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 03:51:20 PM »

For 10 Meter SSB, I'd go with a Radio Shack HTX-100.  You can find them at very reasonable prices, and you will have a ton of fun talking the world with only 25 Watts when the band is open!
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 02:42:23 AM »

You would be hard pressed finding any kit that would compete with a FT857 or IC706MK2G on price. These swiss army knife radios are hard to beat for value.

If you really want to build a great radio, build the Elecraft  K2 with a transverter. Its a very easy radio to build and calibrate. You will be rewarded with performance that is unmatched in receiver performance by even the best DC to daylight  ham transceiver brands. Elecraft Radios like the K2 dont hold their values  well so there are lots of bargains out their on the K2.

Despite the K3's popularity the K3, the K2 kits are still selling very well for very good reasons. I personally prefer the sound  of the K2 receiver over the K3's

i am looking for a cheap ssb radio for 2M - 10M range
i dont need anything fancy, home brew is an option.

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »

I think he said "cheap."   I echo others' recommendations of a good Radio Shack HTX-10 or HTX-100 to get on 10m.   Now is a great time to have one of these radios with the band becoming hot.  The HTX-100 is probably more favored by some, but it is older and more expensive.  The HTX-10 has fewer features (no native CW functionality) but is cheaper.  You would be operating SSB anyway on 10m, most likely. 

To get all the bands you cited, you are looking at somewhat more cash.   You can always add gear later - ask anyone here!

N9AMI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 06:45:35 AM »

Sounds like most of the replies are from cbers or x cbers that really have no technical merit.
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 06:04:44 AM »

MFJ has several 10 watt SSB and CW single band radios available for around $250 each.
Check the http://hamradio.com    web site.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: