Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do hams talk for 3 minutes without unkeying?  (Read 1551 times)
STEVER

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »

Not normal conversation...
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »

So as to give the other guy a chance to go to the bathroom, or freshen up the cup of coffee, or check with the wife to see if she needs any chores done, etc. If he's talking for three minutes, chances are nobody is really listening anyway. That's why the comeback usually is, "Roger, roger, copied all. Man, you have a great signal into here," then they give the other guy a similar chance to go to the bathroom, or get a cup of coffee, etc....
K7ZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »

Not condoning or condeming..... however why do so many folks text rather than make a phone call which is normally less expensive. Simple answer.... just because, or as my 7 year old grandson would say....
sometimes those things just happen.

Take care

Frank, K7ZP
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:49:30 PM »

You should have been around in the AM days. 15-20 minutes was more the norm. Of course switching back to receive often entailed a three step process: 1. Tx off, 2. Rx on, and 3. switch antenna.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »

Heh... I know people who talk like that in person....

Ed   K7AAT
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »

"however why do so many folks text rather than make a phone call which is normally less expensive."

Wife asking me to get milk:

Phone:
Dial number
Wait for network to connect
Ring ring ring
I fumble for phone and answer
"Hello?"
"Hi babe. Can you grab milk on the way home?"
"Sure thing"
"okay thanks love you"
"love you too!"
*click*

Text:
Push two buttons
Enter cell number
type "can you get milk? thanks!"
Hit send.

Sometimes its just easier to fire off a text and be done with it Wink
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »

Because they can't think of enough to say to stay keyed for 6 minutes.

We have a guy in our area that takes 5 minutes to just say he has to go because he it to busy to talk, but who cares, its his way and I would rather listen than talk.

Hows that change working for you?
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 07:16:53 AM »

who cares how long they talk on a RADIO. At least they are on RADIO not echostink, CQ100, hamsphere, and all the other fake radio internet VOiP junk pretending to be on the RADIO.
WZ9O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:56:23 AM »

N0FPE

Quote/ who cares how long they talk on a RADIO. At least they are on RADIO not echostink, CQ100, hamsphere, and all the other fake radio internet VOiP junk pretending to be on the RADIO.quote/

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 09:51:21 PM »

"however why do so many folks text rather than make a phone call which is normally less expensive."

Wife asking me to get milk:
Sometimes its just easier to fire off a text and be done with it Wink

Ah, yes. I prefer to receive a text request from the XYL.

It's much easier for me to passive-aggressively not get the text or simply "forget."

If she calls and I "forget," then I get the "you're not listening to me" lecture too (not that I ever listen to the "you're not listening to me" lecture.)
N2QGV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 04:05:02 AM »

Because they do not have a RTL (Release to Listen) button on the mic.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:37:09 AM »

It seems that you are listening to the wrong people. In my group we discuss intellectual and technical matters which at times require long responses. We do not discuss the last lumbago attack, request endless audio checks or comment on missions to the bathroom!

73 de Lindy
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 07:23:49 AM »

Because there's nothing in the study guides about the gentle art of conversation.

I see so many tech types who get their license and then are too shy to talk, have no clue what to say, or are so excited they can't think straight. I was one of them.

The you get the opposite: self-centered windbags. Some of them actually know they have a problem talking too much when they get excited, and apologize after having done so. They just can't help themselves.

One time, years ago, I had one of those return my CQ. He went on and on, I don't know how long. Then finally, he started talking about fixing his toilet!...

I took that subject as an appropriate sign! That was it. I dropped my call sign, spun the dial and started calling CQ on another frequency, probably while that guy was still blathering!

I've done that a few times, actually. <grin>

--...MARK_N1LO...--

I know
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 07:30:20 AM »

I knew a retired AF fighter pilot that had been a ham for 50 years when he became an SK.
I never knew anyone that could talk longer that he could.
I used to kid him that if he talked that long keyed down in the cockpit that he must have missed a lot of mission assignments over Viet Nam!
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »

"Heh... I know people who talk like that in person....

Ed K7AAT"

Uh, sir... do we know each other?

Paul - AE5JU
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: