Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firestik 2m Antenna  (Read 765 times)
K9CLB

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with the Firestik wave 2m antenna?

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Thanks,

K9CLB
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »

Save your money. A standard 1/4 antenna for 2 meters is just 19 inches long, and will do anything the Firestik will do.

The other thing you need to stay away from is the Gain Game. When it comes to 2 meter FM, a gain antenna might not be what you need, especially if most of your activity is through repeaters. What's more important is the HAAT of the two stations (you and the repeater).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »

The Hustler SF2 is a 5/8 wave 2 meter 3/8X24 antenna.
It can be had for less than $15
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:31:12 PM »

I had one on my motorhome, and I had a hard time getting it to work at all. I can't say it lived up to expectations. If you want a big mobile antenna that will work and uses a 3/8-24 mount, the Hustlers are excellent.
K0PD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »

On E Ham reviews it has 4 comments. Two give it a 5/5 and one gives it a 1/5 the other a 2/5. So i would guess it more or less depends on you.I know there old CB fire sticks were difficult to match up...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »

Most mobile operators have never compared one antenna with another, much less with accurate equipment. As a result, they often use metaphors to describe whatever they're using at the moment. The real facts are otherwise.

It is not uncommon to have efficiency levels as low as .5% (that's point 5 percent) on 80 meters, and still work DX (the most common metaphor). On the other end of the spectrum (10 meters), the efficiency limit is about 85% primarily due to ground losses.

As a result, I don't take much stock in metaphorical reviews, no matter where they happen to appear.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 03:11:35 PM »

went to the firestik web site that is some serious snake oil on that site. I agree a sf-2 will make you a happier operator then a fiberglass stick wrapped with 19 g wire
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »

I have one and find it to be mechanically strong, but electrically poor. Getting it to tune properly is a nightmare and performance is mediocre at best. A quarter wave whip or the aforementioned Hustler SF-2 will work MUCH better!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: