Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defects in the eHam.net Forum implementation  (Read 2720 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2003, 03:30:24 PM »

The topics listed under "Hottest Topics" are neither those with the most recent posts, nor those with the most posts.

The topics under "Recently Active Topics" contain posts from more than a year ago, generally ignoring recently active topics.

Subscribing to a topic in order to receive posts & replies by email doesn't work.

Is there some reason that the list of topics can't be sorted by Last Reply to make new entries easier to find?

Dave, AA6YQ
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 01:21:28 AM »

Agreed, the site isn't perfect, so I ignore those parts.  
    No offense, but it probably would have been Better to post it in "Site Talk."
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 10:47:27 PM »

"Site Talk"? What's that? More importantly, where's that? There's no such item in the left-hand navigation pane.

The problem with "not perfect so I ignore those features" is that it perpetuates the status quo. If users don't demand higher quality, they will never get it.

Dave, AA6YQ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 12:03:39 AM »

hi,

In the forum section is site talk.

73 james
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 12:13:16 AM »

FORUMS" have a number of sections; one is entitled:"SITE TALK." It covers such points as you brought up.

And as with any free site, you learn to accept the limitations of the forum software that is in use. That doesn't mean you like the limitations, but you learn to live with it. But you are free
                to write an improved version of software and submit it to the Webmaster. I'm sure he would welcome a better version, that's thoroughly debugged and addresses all of your concerns.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 11:58:36 PM »

First, "free" is no excuse for "low quality". We hear that response all-to-often in amateur radio software. The result speaks for itself.

Second, every software developer wants to be informed of defects in his or her applications. "learn to live with it" makes it harder for developers to improve their software. A precise, unamiguous defect report is worth its weight in gold.

Third, writing a new application from scratch as an alternative to correcting the defects in the current implementation makes absolutely no sense.

Dave, AA6YQ

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 10:09:45 AM »

To Dave:

When I log on to this site, it says "You are a Subscriber. Thanks!".  If this is not the case for you, don't make any derogatory remarks about the site.  That should be reserved for those who support this site financially.  Money talks - BS walks!

Dennis - KG4RUL
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 11:20:41 AM »

I made no derogatory remarks about eham.net. What I did was report a set of serious defects. Most software engineers -- and I am one -- would consider that a valuable contribution.

At the current level of functionality, I don't believe eham.net is worthy of financial contribution. My use is currently limited to answering questions from other ops and, when relevant, drawing their attention to the free amateur software I make available.

When eham.net rises to the point of being useful, I will be happy to contribute. You will, for example, find my callsign on the list of qsl.net contributors.

Dave, AA6YQ
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2003, 04:23:30 PM »

Dave,

E-Ham didn't write the software.  The small staff is aware of deficiencies, but they have limited time to experiment with new systems, troubleshoot, AND moderate the various forums to keep the trolls under control.

If you know of better software, then by all means, suggest it.  But realize if they were to consider a change in software, they would have to be certain it didn't cause more problems than it tries to cure.  And they don't have a large R&D Department to test a new system.
    Perhaps with your skills, you can HELP them overcome some of the deficiencies you find so disagreeable for the betterment of all users.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2003, 04:48:02 PM »

Checking the Site Talk forum, as you suggested, one sees several suggestions for alternate forum implementations that eham.net could adopt or adapt. I don't personally know that these are better, but I do know that eham.net would be more valueable and attractive if the defects I reported were resolved.

As for personally jumping in, that's a reasonable suggestion, but I'll pass. I am continuing to develop and support the DXLab Suite of free DXing applications, a body of code many times larger than eham.net -- see www.qsl.net/dxlab . I don't have time for another project.

Dave, AA6YQ
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 02:07:43 PM »

Yeah, this belongs in Sitetalk.  I see it has been posted there as well.

I am aware of the "Recent topics", etc. bug, though not sure what causes it to occur.  It has been reported to the programmers.

Also, the software that runs this site was written several years ago, by some of eHam's founders and "hired guns" - though it was all a labor of love.  It needs updating to be sure.

I am ALWAYS glad users point out bugs to me.  I am even more grateful when the report is clear and polite as this one was.  Although most of the time I am already aware of the bugs, the reporting of same shows me some folks are paying attention. ;-)

As to my slow response to this thread, I only monitor a few forums regularly and rely upon our users to let me know if anything's amiss...I only saw this thread by luck.

73 Mike N2MG
webmaster

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 01:53:18 AM »

Dave, the Webmaster has a daunting (superhuman?) task overseeing the various forums, etc.  There may be some deficiencies in the software, but on the whole, it's adequate, if not perfect.  (AND I'LL add, that occasionally posts WILL disappear, and edits of posts result in complete loss of a post.)  These ARE the vagaries of the system, and I'm sorry to say, we are stuck with these 'glitches."  I don't like them, and they ARE infuruating, but they are artifacts of the system.  But, PLEASE, don't let these "bugs" discourage you from using or contributing to the E-Ham forums.  We all have to work with bugs in our computers (MIcrosoft is obviously not immune)  and E-Ham is not perfect, but we work around the problems for the benefit of all.  
KS4XN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 02:07:26 PM »

I'm glad the webmaster chimed in as he did. Reading thru the other responses, I was taken aback by the the reaction to the report and suggestion.

I appreciate the site and had noticed a couple of (to me)little things but didn't take the time to point them out. I'm glad Dave, AA6YQ did, although maybe not in the most appropriate place.

Still eham.net should note the loyalty of some of it's users. At first to me, it was just another ham site but since I find myself using it alot it's obviously more than that and deserving of support.

73 de John, ks4xn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: