Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callsigns with initials  (Read 2722 times)
K1MMI

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:29:51 AM »

In recent years I've noticed a very large number of Hams have changed their callsigns to be their initials.

Maybe I just don't get it but it makes no sense to me for a person to have a callsign with their initials.

In 50 years of hamming I've never given out my middle initial and about once every 10 years give my last name out.

Why would someone want a callsign with their initials?Huh
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:51:56 AM »

My initials, JCS, would have a total disaster.....

I changed mine due to daily call sign foul ups. My original call, KD4PWK was fine with the exception of the "P" if not given phonetically, was missunderstood as V, B, D, E and occasionally Z.

Although this was only a problem on phone - I wanted something a bit shorter and with slight rhythm to it. So I chose N4CQR. It's both phone and CW frendly call.

My initials, JCS, would have a total disaster.

Craig
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:04:02 AM »

In recent years I've noticed a very large number of Hams have changed their callsigns to be their initials.

Maybe I just don't get it but it makes no sense to me for a person to have a callsign with their initials.

In 50 years of hamming I've never given out my middle initial and about once every 10 years give my last name out.

Why would someone want a callsign with their initials?Huh

It's just a vanity thing, same as those who do this with their vehicle license plates.

I chose my call "K5END" for three reasons.
1. It is a mild facsimile of my last name.
2. It is relatively brief in Morse code.
3. It is easy to remember.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:52:38 AM »

Probably cause its easy for them to remember?  

Might have to ask someone who chose a 1X3 with their initials.

I looked at calls ending in RK when we switched to being able request a call--they were all taken.  And, I didn't want a call with either R of K in it.

I liked the cadence of AE7G and used it for many years.  After my wife died, I switched to ETA, her nick name was ETTA.  ETA is still pretty good for CW and phone.  AE7G got switched to VE7 and EA7 quite a few times.

Bob
K7LRB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:36:41 AM »

"Why would someone want a callsign with their initials?Huh"

The "short" answer is, "Why not?"

The long answer follows:

This has to be one of the most trivial, asinine, pointless, immature and (add any derogatory adjective you wish here) posts I have ever seen. You must be truly lucky to have the time to waste posting such a meaningless "topic" in this forum, not to mention that you have nothing more important in your life to worry about.

What do you care what a person chooses for a call sign? Again, I say, "Why not?" Given the ability to choose one's own call sign, what criteria do you apply to such a decision? Are you worried that someone can see the initials for your middle and last names, Mr. EJH? Worried that someone could figure out what your last name is, Mr. Hajjar?

"Maybe I just don't get it but it makes no sense to me for a person to have a callsign with their initials"

OK, what DOES "make sense"?

Not that you, or anyone else, really cares (well, maybe YOU do) but I had the FCC assigned call sign of K3TIN for about 44 years, a great CW call. Having decided to permanently reside in Arizona I applied for a 7 area call. Having the alility to CHOOSE my own call sign, I chose K7TIN. OOPS, already taken. So I decided to apply for K7LRB which was AVAILABLE. Once again, WHY NOT? Does it bother you enough to actually waste time with an "article" like this? Apparently so. Get a life!

And YES, I am lucky enough to have the time to waste to respond.

Smiley

de Larry, LRB, Lawrence Robert Bailey, K7LRB, k7lrb@cox.net
PULLRAFTT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 03:40:04 AM »

Who cares...it's their personal choice and they don't have to justify it to anyone. Why would anyone object to it and what business it it of theirs?

-zw
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 04:59:43 AM »

A callsign that is also the ham's initials can make it easier for others to associate the ham's name with their call.

73 de Jim, N2EY (not a vanity call)
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »

I chose WØFM because my name used to be Frank Mitchel before I was forced to go into the Witness Protection Program.

Terry, WØFM
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 02:14:17 PM »

i like being abel to pick my own call numbers beacus its like pinking youre own handel on cb! thats why i am the N1BUST in the base beacus i am the one buster brown in the base on the cb!!
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:33:30 PM »

Just remember you can pick your call and pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.

but you can't call your friends and pick their noses.
K7LRB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »

Good one Larry! Actually you CAN tell your friends to pick their noses, but they may not comply. HAWRF!!

See ya on the air.... we can "pick our frequency"!

de Larry
OKLAHOMASTEEL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »

You probably could if your friends name was CHARLIEBAKER.
K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 01:56:51 AM »

eham.net doesn't allow you to edit an original question. They expect you to add more info - similar to a conversation.

Some slogans:
"There are no strangers in Ham Radio just friends who have never met".
"There is no stupid question but it is stupid not to ask a question".

A very popular trend these days is to get a vanity call with initials. Myself, I see no benefit or advantage to having a call with my initials and
was a bit curious why others would choose a call with their initials - so I decided to ask the question on this forum. To me, it's a very reasonable
question - no different than most questions asked on this forum.

It makes no sense to me to have a call with my initials but it makes perfect sense to thousands and thousands of Hams who have a call with their initials.
I have never received a QSL card addressed to Mr. EJH or sent EJH as part of a CW QSO but I do have an email address that contains EJH. I have received
many QSL cards addressed to Edmund J. Hajjar because Hams have looked up K1MMI in a callbook.

A person should select whatever vanity call they choose - end of story - no explanation is ever necessary.

I asked a few Ham Friends why Hams were selecting calls with their initials but they didn't know - so eham.net seemed like
a good place to ask.

If someone is nice enough to take the time to respond to my question - it's appreciated. Isn't that keeping with the spirit of Ham Radio?

Some food for thought:
When Hams respond to a question in a friendly and helpful manner - it presents Ham Radio in a very positive way.

If a stranger, who is thinking about getting a ham license, reads a response on eham.net that is unfriendly
and hostile or nasty it presents Ham Radio and eham.net in a very negative way.
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 03:33:18 AM »

Hi Ed,

Some slogans:
"There are no strangers in Ham Radio just friends who have never met".
"There is no stupid question but it is stupid not to ask a question".

I appreciate those quotes Ed. Isn't it amazing how far we might travel, by adopting those slogans as a pleasent attitude to have, in everyday Life?

Ed...First of all?
I just liked the idea that I could "make a choice" about having a personalized call sign that I wanted.
And, I admit that when I was a child, my father actually had a branding Iron that he made and used to mark some of his own wood work - with the pride he'd taken to build it, and so, being named after him, I also took "Personal Pride" in what those initials stood for (for myself) in a loving, respectful memory, of my Father.

As mentioned earlier, the use of it with personalized license plates is nice. I would suppose that this is something unique to each individual that decides to take this offered option, if in fact that call sign is indeed available, to them!

A few more quotes I appreciate, Ed:
Some things - That We can never take back?
The Stone.......After it has been thrown
Hurtful words...After they have been spoken
        Time....After it has passed us by!

"There are no strangers in Ham Radio just friends who have never met". Man I like that!

God Bless you and your family, Merry Christmas and a very Happy New year to each and every "New Friend."
8-) 73-Gud DX
De N5JFJ (Jerry)
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 12:38:29 AM »

What would be stranger is if a ham got a 1X3 and then changed his name to those initials?

If you wanna lose the stigma of a novice Tech and get a 1X3, why not apply for initials?  You gotta choose somethin?

Best from Tucson, where we await the arrival of Salsa Clause.
Bob
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: