Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callsigns with initials  (Read 3191 times)
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »

Huuuum. Reminds me of when Extras were first allowed to choose their call sign.  A friend applied for W1ROY.  The FCC lost his paper work. The window for applying closed while he was waiting for the FCC to act upon his application.  He wound up with AC1B, Apples Corn and one Banapple.
Best from Tucson
Bob
K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the friendly and insightful reply to my question.

The stories behind the N5JFJ and W7ETA callsigns have given me a greater appreciation for the Vanity Callsign program.

Ed - K1MMI
KA4AAA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 04:09:32 AM »

Not really much to do with the original question, but nonetheless.....

When I incorporated a decade and a half ago using my initials for my computer company, "AAA Systems" (my initials are indeed, "AAA") -- I got taken to court by the 'AAA' car club company as well as Alcoholics Anonymous.  Judge ruled in my favor since my business had nothing to do with cars or booze, and I had indeed showed mountains of proof of my name.  (just paid for court costs and lawyer fees.  That's all I ever asked for in my counter-claim -- the judge looked very highly on that as well).

With a last name of 'Abraham' -- I'm typically first on most alphabetical lists.  Just used to that.  With 'AAA' initials, peoples' first reaction is usually, "Hey!  Did you know your initials are, 'AAA'?" -- Yeah?  No kidding.  I'm also wearing shoes.  Want to comment on that as well Commander Obvious?

I thought about getting some xxxAAA callsign.  But decided against.  KF4YOR is what I was issued.  It is what I will keep.  I can't change my SSN to whatever I like.  Nor my drivers license number.  KF4YOR is me.  That's what stays.  For once, I *LIKE* having something not even remotely related to my initials.
K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 12:56:46 AM »

Some final comments:

Some get vanity calls because it is better for contesting, or CW operating, or to select a call they like better than the FCC assigned call.
Some get their Father's old callsign or choose a callsign of a silent key as a way to honor them.
Hams like N5JFJ and W7ETA have very special reasons for their callsign choices.

Almost everyday I see or hear a callsign that turns out to be someone's initials - be it  2 or 3 letters.
In QST some staff members, officers, section managers, and authors have callsigns with their initials.
A callsign with initials is pretty common.

Someone mentioned a callsign with initials is a way to personalize a callsign. That might be the
number one reason for choosing initials.

When I got into Ham Radio whatever callsign the FCC assigned was it but we personalized a callsign
by phonetics  - like this is "Kilowatt One The Mighty Mounted Indian".

I guess if I were a fairly new Ham I would consider a vanity callsign and some choices could be
K1EJH, K1EH or K1ED but when the vanity callsign program was introduced I had been using the K1MMI
callsign for decades and had no interest in changing my callsign.

The only importance to a callsign is it gives us the privilege of operating a Ham Radio Station and
the actual call letters are of little importance.

Ed
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »

I have a reason for picking a vanity call of my initials, PEH for Phillip Edward Hystad.

I have been a computer programmer for over 40 years and I have used my initials, PEH, for identifying code that I have written for almost as long as I can remember.  Actually, back then, it was so common that a user login name on the mainframe computer was often someone's initials, thus their e-mail back on the old uucp (Unix to Unix Copy based e-mail) had their initials.  My own initials of PEH were my e-mail username from early 1980s (uucp days) to the just a few years ago when I discovered that someone else was using my initials on the Apple Mac e-mail domain so I had to choose something else.

Thus, PEH is me, it is what I have been signing for myself for decades.  Therefore, having a call sign of my initials just seemed like the natural thing to do.

Sure, no one cares -- but I think I had a good reason for making that choice.
WD8DK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 07:52:08 AM »

Whiskey Delta 8 Delta Kilo.....works quite well on DX contests and is easy to understand phonetically.
KB9MDQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »

I missed my initials at ham birth by two letters. I was apparently a premee lol!

My initials would have been a neat coincidence.

The best call I have seen as of late is KC9RRL. It reminds me of the radio relay league. It is also my 9 yr old son's, who is a new ham.
K3RMX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »

The "best" use of a vanity call sign was when another ham, here in Maryland (3 land), whose 5-letter last name begins with Ko had his old N3*** call changed to his last name, as K0%%%.  I chose not to give his actual callsign, but I really liked the new callsign for him.

Steve
k3rmx
VK7RJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 03:56:49 AM »

i choose mine for two reasons.

1. first and last name back to front (J Rainsford)
2. it rolls out well on the phone as RJ or as Romeo Juliet.

so yes a bit vain but why not.

Cheers VK7RJ
K9VC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »

Well, after I entered the Witness Protection program, I was given the name Vic Carpenter, so I chose K9VC.  (I'm referring to a wonderful reply in the thread earlier!)
I run 50,000 watts on 195 meters. (That is saying I'm Transmitter Supervisor for KMPC Los Angeles)  I got the call sign, because I could.

Happy DX!
Vic
K9VC
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 02:34:46 AM »

In the 1920's and 30's, it was usual in the UK that the call issued had a relationship to the surname - G2MI was Milne, G6CL was Clarricoats, G6MN was Martin, and so on. This stopped in about 1935 or 6.
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »

K9VC posted on March 31, 2010:

"Well, after I entered the Witness Protection program, I was given the name Vic Carpenter, so I chose K9VC.  (I'm referring to a wonderful reply in the thread earlier!)"

A whole bunch of folks in here are in the WITLESS Protection program. :-)
K9VC: "I run 50,000 watts on 195 meters."

QSL with a 1N34 diode receiver report? :-)

Not a problem to hear you in East San Fernando Valley.
Or on telephones or razor blades or tooth fillings in some places...
K9VC: "I got the call sign, because I could."

So did I but I had more difficulty getting mine here in Los Angeles. :-)

73, Leonard H. Anderson K6LHA
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »

OR..... you can use your call for your 'initials'/name. I have gone by 'dm' on-air for a long time, since I was KW6DM. On that 2-1/4 square miles at low tide there were several of us. A lot easier to know 'df', 'dr', and 'dc'...all nice guys, than 'names. We extended the pattern to our little daily Pacific Area rag-chew net on 20, to avoid unwanted guests. Imagine if KB6CC had actually SENT that call! He went by 'cc'. [likewise, we'd ID in CW as fast as we could send]. These days some On-Line guy will call me by my NAME. *Weird* feeling....

dm
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »

Just another gripe post about how bad ham radio is getting. hey lets find more things to gripe about!!!  If people dont like whats going on in the hobby get out of it! Why do people change thier calls? Because we can!!!!! Simple as that. I change my call (kc9guz just didnt work on SSB phone that well) to use a fellow hams call he had in 1960. He was delighted that I picked his old Novice call, and he still remarks how he wished he had kept it to this very day! I like the way K9FON sounds on the air and its a piece of cake to use on CW. :-)
W5DC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 05:19:28 AM »

Some of us have reason to not like our old calls.  My previous call was W5IOU and after twenty-two years of hearing the same stupid IOU jokes, I was ready for a change.

73, Dunc, W5DuncanCarter
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: