Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: d104 mic element repair  (Read 2230 times)
NR5P

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »

I just got an old d104 it has the 320 element in it.  I plan on using it in a couple months with an old apache I'm finishing up.  I opened it up and saw that the element was badly dented up but no holes in it.  The glue was dryed up around the edge and the "wax?" in the middle on the rod that goes from the diaphram to the element was loose.  I decided to just take it off because it was easy to cut around the edge of the rest of the element and pushed the dents out.  The crystal part of the elemnt is loose.

Now my question is...the element is supposed to be glued down right? and what do I use to glue it down?

I've heard rubber cement is good for around the outside of the diaphram and there is enough wax that I can reuse that for the rod in the middle

thanks.  Nathan (nr5p)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »

take a look at the Heil site, they have an  great element for the D-104 heads, and it sounds great,
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:39:34 AM »

The D104 mic heads were made replacable for a reason.  Now you can putz around trying to make it work, or just get a repacement element.  I believe that Astatic still makes both crystal and dynamic head elements, and I know that Heil also has something that will work.
I do not know the cost.
73s.

-Mike.
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:56:39 AM »

You have the option of the Heil elements.  These people claim to have the elements for the D-104:
http://www.rbmicro.com/index.php?page=details&prod=2&cat=6&group=11

I was able to get the original elements about three years ago but I don't have the company papers anymore.  However, the RBMicro site above may be able to help.

Good luck de Bert @ KA2UUP
WA4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 07:25:05 AM »

I have successfully used the RBMicro Astatic D-104 mic element replacement kit, as well as an element that is available from Mouser Electronics. The Mouser link is: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobitone/25LM024/?qs=XEjAOFiNPmWngviyFeX2Hw%3d%3d

The element from Mouser doesn't include pre-cut foam inserts as does the RBMicro kit, but I have gotten very complimentary audio reports while using it in  both SSB and AM modes of operation on a variety of transmitters and tranceivers.

73s,

Richard (WA4FUU)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: