Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSL & Registry  (Read 502 times)
N9NEO

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2003, 04:20:39 PM »

I've got Verizon DSL now, but doesn't seem to run so fast.  About as fast as my dial up.  When I go to task manager there seems to be a lot of stuff running.  I remember when I first bought machine Dell techsupport had me go in and turn off a bunch of these and sys ran real fast.  Now clogged up again.

I run ad-aware once in a while and delete internet files from time to time.  

Which of these background programs don't need to be running, and how do I turn them off?  

Are there any other programs I should be running besides virus scan to keep this from happenng?

this is most of what's running:

motivedirectory
msnmsgr
ipclient
mpbtn
loadqm
ipmon32
motivesb
Hpgs2wnd
Hpqcmon
Hpgs2wnf
mm_tray
systray
winpppoverethernet

(ipclient running twice.)

Bob
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 05:25:08 AM »

Take a look at http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm -- it will help you separate the wheat from the chaff.

Dave, AA6YQ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 11:49:41 PM »

hi,

Not sure what version of win o/s you are running,
if 98 be sure to turn off fast find, it is an index
service and sometimes (ok a lot) can slug up your system performance as it keeps track of every file.

On newer o/s under harddrive properties you can turn off indexing and that may help.

You may see in improvement in a day or so, without doing anything to your system, something the phone company does on its own.

73 james
N3IJW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 10:09:02 AM »

Assuming you have an up to date virus scanner, hit up one of these sites to make sure your tcp/ip stack is configured properly for broadband:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

http://www.speedguide.net

Usually you'll find your RWIN (receive window) is set wrong, changing it to a more suitable value will make a world of difference.
KG4VGH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 07:58:55 PM »

motivedirectory
msnmsgr
ipclient
mpbtn
loadqm
ipmon32
motivesb
Hpgs2wnd
Hpqcmon
Hpgs2wnf
mm_tray
systray
winpppoverethernet

go into start / run /  type in msconfig and hit enter....go to start menue and you can safely remove 98 % of the check marks......
You MUST have "systray and ipclient and explorer running.....
everything else can be started when you need it.....
Pete
N6YVY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 10:53:14 AM »

If your running windows ME upgrade to xp dsl and me do not get along.
I got a new pc that had me and then got dsl and ran so slow even slower dial up I upgaded as last resort and now it screams.
Bob n6yvy
RFSOAKED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 01:13:22 AM »

Go to www.dslreports.com and use the Tweak Test, run the test, and it will ask a few simple questions.  Answer them then you will see the results, and more importantly it will tell you the problems found.

Just download and run Dr.TCP to change the settings, hit save, reboot, and enjoy!  If you want more proof that this helps then run a speed test on the same web page, then tweak and reboot, and run the same speed test again.  Most systems that i have used this method on see a change on the incoming from less that 1000 or even less than 500 initially, to well over 1000 or more afterwards.  On my particular system i noted a tested speed of 734 initially, after tweaking i get a consistent 1350-1410.  Not bad considering it took only a few minutes to do!

Have fun with your DSL!

W0IPL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 01:04:52 AM »

Make sure you have a firewall running.

I listened to Earthlink and shut mine down for about two hours. The system ground almost to a halt (four minutes to receive four E-mails - the longest was 2K) and I ended up with the Blaster worm. That cost me over two days to recover from (and a few lost files).

There are a number of hackers out there that send a ping to each tcp/ip address they hear from. Any that answer (no firewall) get flooded with attempts to breech their security.

There are several on your list that are non essential (msnmessenger is a big hitter).

ipl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: