Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is a lid?????  (Read 1544 times)
PULLRAFTT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »

Don't Be a Lid

by Tony, N3KTA

What, pray tell, is a lid you may ask?  Well, the word lid is ham jargon for an amateur radio operator who exhibits poor operating practices.  Intentional, incidental, or otherwise...if you make a procedural mistake, it is almost certain that someone listening will label you as a lid.  And yes, it is an insult.

I think we are all guilty of some level of "lidness" at one point or another in our amateur radio practices.  Some of us get past it, some of us don't, and some of us just plain don't know that we are being lids.  Many hams have no tolerance for lid-like behavior and get quite irate at even the simplest of liderations.  I truly believe that a great majority of these poor operating practices are not overt acts.  They are simply derived from the ignorance of proper procedures.  People will list various causes of lid behavior but I am not going to delve into that field.  I believe that you learn proper operating procedures in at least 3 simple and effective ways:  

Research:  reading about proper practices and asking questions
Experience:  getting on the air: operating AND listening
Elmering:  getting help from an operator w/ experience who has already made plenty of mistakes.
So I will offer some simple elmering tips in an effort to help try to curb common lid mistakes.  Hey, I am not perfect.  I have had my fair share of lidness so I will pass on some things I have learned (and am learning) along the way.  Like my dad always says, "You learn something new everyday".  Amen.

'Don't Be a Lid' Tips of the Week

January 6, 2009

Don't tune up on the exact frequency of an ongoing QSO, CQ, or pile up.  Remember, there are others trying to listen to that frequency as well.
Many DX stations will operate split mode:  transmit on one frequency and listen up (QSX) on another.  Take this DX spot for instance:
W60AR had a 80M CW QSO with ZD8UW @ 0513 UTC on 07 Jan 09.  ZD8UW was transmitting on 3509 KHz and listening on 3510.4 KHz.  SO W6OAR transmitted on 3510.4 KHz and listened on 3509 KHz.  See how that works?

This is a common practice with many DX stations...especially rare ones.  So if you hear/see a DX station working a pile up but don't hear anyone coming back to him/her on that frequency, there is a good chance they are working split.  So DON'T transmit on their calling frequency.  Instead, tune around a little bit (a few KHz up) to see if you hear stations calling the beloved DX.

A great way to see how this works is to monitor DX spots on sites like DX Watch.  The usually friendly ops will normally post a QSX frequency along with the spot.

January 12, 2009

Don't use spotting websites for comments not conducive to good amateur radio practice.  Some comments I have seen in the last week and copied from dxwatch.com:
An op posted some disparaging remark about another which generated "I dare you to say that to my face"...response "your face is too ugly".
to a DXpedition station "Why don't you go home?"
Worse- very derogatory comments...some even in other languages:
EA1** to E44M    14000.0 FAFANCULOS 1815z 11 Jan
F6*** to E44M    7000.0  expedition de MERDE 1812z 11 Jan
K2**  to N4MJ-114000.0  PH U CK - Y O U!  2150z 11 Jan
This is mega lid behavior! Please don't get caught up in this non-sense.  I am ashamed for the hobby when I see these kinds of things going on.  Ignore them and they will hopefully go away.  Or as I say...QSY and they do go away!

Using pirated or made up call sign is not only another mega lid behavior but it's also illegal.  Four times this week on HF I had the same (?) station come back to me using a fraudulent SV0 call.  Don't be a weinous like this guy.  ID properly.  If you don't like something I am doing just tell me in a nice, friendly manner.

-zw
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 06:23:10 PM »

Socrates said, To be ignorant of ones own lidness is the malady of liddom.

Or, maybe that was the coach in high school.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 02:46:36 AM »

Like infuriating Dude.

LIDs had to use the lid from Red Man chewing tabacci tins under the sounders in order to copy CW.

Also known as tin-ears.

Best from Tucson
Bob
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »

so why did that HAM call me lid?Huh
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 09:57:53 PM »

so why did that HAM call me lid?Huh

If the shoe fits...

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »

Cause you are like infuriatiiiing dude!
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »

I was told many years ago the term originated with old shipboard spark operators, and described ops who departed from prescribed operating procedures.

Thus, they were "Lacking in Discipline".

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »

well i aint none a those things
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:05 PM »

But, if you quack like a duck, sit in your nest warring your shoes.

QLF OB?

Bob
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 04:47:52 AM »

The term comes from the days of the landline Morse telegraph operators.

Landline Morse used a device called a sounder which clicked in sequence with the keying. Operators prided themselves on being able to read the sounder regardless of conditions.

Some operators took to putting things on or near the sounder to change the sound, making it easier to hear or distinguish, etc. A common trick was to put a tobacco-can lid behind the sounder mechanism. This sort of thing was disdained by skilled operators, and considered a sign of inexperience and/or lack of skill. It was an insult to be called a "lid operator" or just a "lid".

Like many telegraph terms, it outlived its origins.

73 de Jim, N2EY

take 5
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »

Jim...

It makes sense that, in a room crowded with other operators, some might "tweak" their sounder to set it apart from the rest.  The can lid would be a good way to do that.

I spoke this morning with an old friend who was a RR telegrapher in his youth.  He said he'd never heard the term used in RR, but suggested it possibly had roots in marine telegraphy.

In any case, the can lid was a good idea.  We may never know the origin of the term with absolute certainty.

Merry Christmas all...

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »

It makes sense that, in a room crowded with other operators, some might "tweak" their sounder to set it apart from the rest.  The can lid would be a good way to do that.

Except that it makes your sounder possibly louder and more distracting  or annoying to ops on other circuits...

Sounds familiar to me, LIDwise.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »

so is it good when a HAM call you lid???
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 03:15:24 AM »

Yup.
When you quack, someone lets you know yer bein a turkey.

If you don't know yer a turkey, well Thanksgigiv is commin agin.

Bob
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 03:31:09 AM »

K4DPK,

I've seen the tobacco-can lid story in many different books from the land-wire era.

I also heard it from Lou Moreau, W3WRE/WB6BBO, who knew and used both codes, on the air and on the wire. (Lou's key collection is now at the AWA Annex).

I know it predates radio, as do many abbreviations, such as "take five" and the number abbreviations.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: