Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom ic-211  (Read 729 times)
KA4IGR

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »

Hi all: I have an ic-211 and I have had it many years and it has been a great radio. But here lately the freq has drifted off but only if it is on a while. Examble: If the radio is on 144.390 at turn on, after a few minutes it starts drifting up. I have to turn the vfo knob up as the freq changes.when it is stable, the freq for that signal reads 144.430 on the display.It will operate at this readout forever if the radio is not turned off. If the radio is turned off the procedure starts over. This is our local aprs freq. which is 144.390. Any help on this?
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

I have had this problem.  Back in the 80's I had an IC-211 and an IC-245ssb - its mobile baby brother.

My memory is not clear on this, but in the synthesizer unit there is a varistor that gets flakey.
Both units had this faliure.

As as you may already know, the feedthoughs on the non plated through circuit board holes can cause problems too.

I will see if I still have some notes.

Luke
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »

I've had my IC-211 since it was new in 1977.  I sent it in for service at Icom in the mid-80s and they replaced all the styrene caps in the PLL. Scott Maclom, the Icom guru (http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/)  redid that board again later, repairing a crack on the PCB, and it has worked fine ever since.  I'd recommend you checking to see if he's still working on 211's as his work was great and reasonable rates.

Dino KL0S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: