Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me Design a New Radio/GPS Game  (Read 220 times)
VK5CQ

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »

Many of you would know about GeoCaching (ie, a blend of Treasure Hunting and Orienteering, that uses a GPS and usually requires the player to work-out the answers to some questions or riddles, when near place where the cache/treasure has been hidden; correct answers to the questions/riddles help the player find the goodies... ;-)

I'd like to extend vanilla GeoCaching, eg, so that others - not yet into doing it - can follow along, maybe give tips or (in reasonable ways) kibbitz & enjoy "arm-chair GeoCaching" from a home QTH.

The idea is if Radio Hams were doing the GeoCaching, they could carry a hand-held radio along & let others know how they're going.

In a team approach to GeoCaching, with Hams at home - during the GeoCache - could serve as part of the "brains trust" to help solve the riddles or answer the questions, that guide the on-site player to the 'cache.

(Of course, 'caches would have to be hidden in a repeater's coverage area, for this to work...)

This also enables team-members to participate from dofferent sides of state or national boarders...

So, maybe a traveler or other visitor buried a cache while in the area, but - later - gets to listen in (eg, via an IRLP-connected repeater, elsewhere) while one or more Radio-equipped GeoCacher(s) are out looking for it. :-)

What do you think? How can we make this work? Do you see any problems in the idea (as far as it's been developed...)?

Remember, GeoCaching can be done - by one or many - at any hour of the day, any time at all (where local access to the search area is open & legal).

It's typically a cost-free activity, ie, except for the gear.

Would a variation of this work, say, at schools, etc.?

We'd be interested in your ideas for improvement. :-)

PS Could this work - eg, in places where lots of non-Hams monitor the local Amateur repeater - eg, if done as a Ham Club activity?
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:04:59 PM »

"So, maybe a traveler or other visitor buried a cache while in the area, but - later - gets to listen in (eg, via an IRLP-connected repeater, elsewhere) while one or more Radio-equipped GeoCacher(s) are out looking for it. :-)"

Even if a group of cachers were looking for one using HT's to communicate, I don't think it would be all that entertaining to monitor their conversations.
"Do you see it yet?"
"No" "
Have you tried looking under the tree stump?"
"Yes"
"The GPS coordinates says it's around here somewhere"
blah,blah, blah, yawn....
What's so entertaining?

I don't know a single GeoCacher who is a ham besides myself.

The GeoCachers I know go out hunting by themselves or with one partner, not as a large group.

Ergo, the odds are exceedingly small that:

1) there is a group of cachers going after one cache
2) are all hams carrying and using HT's
3) are in an area covered by a good repeater
4) that is IRLP linked
5) that other cachers will know the day and time    that they will even be in the vicinity and listening on IRLP.
6) to conversations that aren't the least bit entertaining.

Not to mention that is you were communicating by HT in small area, why would you even use a repeater? The last cache I found was in a forest 15 miles outside of Show Low, Arizona, no repeater for 100 miles.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »

CORRECTION: Not a repeater I could HIT with an HT for 100 miles. There is a repeater in Holbrook, 40 miles away, but I couldn't access it with an HT and a duckie from Show Low. Hell, I couldn't hit it from Snowflake. Gotta be right on I-40.
KE5OFO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »

I don't know how well this would work.  I love geocashing with my kids and we do use radios but we used FRS radios just to keep in touch while in the woods.  My boy thought is was great to tromp around in the woods to find his first "treasure" when he was about 4.

Kerry
KE5OFO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: