Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom T7H / Yaesu FT-60  (Read 988 times)
KF5AEJ

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:46 AM »

I'm trying to decide between these two HT's. Can some of you with more experience help me with the pro's and con's between the two.  Thanks.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:45:23 PM »

Bought New? Get the FT-60r... newer radio, 1400 MH-hr NiMH battery stock (vs alkaline AA holder w/ currently available IC-7H sport) optional 600-900 mH-Hr NiCd batteries, some capable of producing full power out, solidly built metal case, Squelch knob (ring) separate from selector & volume, more memories that you'd ever use 1000 vs 70, broader Rx coverage,(if that's important to you), Alpha or freq display (IC-7H is freq only I THINK -- check though, I may be wrong on this point), etc.

In defense of the IC-7H it does have a BNC connector vs. an SMA, (perhaps somewhat sturdier and maybe more tolerant of high numbers of connect/disconnect cycles) and the AA battery holder could be used w/ 4 high capacity, modern NiMH cells, though 4.8V may not be enough to generate 5W output -- check the manual/detailed specs.

Still today, I'd go for the FT-60r if you want a solid, no nonsense dual band HT. That's what I did, circa '04-'05, (and a 6 cell AA holder that I use w/ NiMH's in addition to the factory battery. The IC-T7H was on my short list, then the FT-60 came out... game over.

One man's opinion anyway. Touch & hold both if you can though before you buy.
K9RFZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »

I own both the Icom T7H and the Yaesu FT-60R. I prefer the ergonomics of the T7H over the FT-60. Both are solid radios, however I owned the T7H first and only bought the FT-60 when I wanted to work FM satellites and discovered the T7H won't do odd splits between bands. Concerning the SMA connector on the FT-60R, I purchased the SMA to BNC adpater offered by KC2BHO Stephen Gulyas and never remove it from the FT-60R. I recommend the FT-60R, but the Icom T7H is still a good radio.

Joseph, K9RFZ
KF5AEJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »

Is one easier to program then the other, and how do the battery's hold up between to two.
N6CTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 04:34:21 AM »

KF5AEJ said it correct, almost; "Is one easier to program then the other, and how do the battery's hold up between to two."

What happens if you are two hundred mile from home and you pre-programmed you HT. Then you come to find out the P/L for a particular city is not correct. What do you do? I know the Yaesu FT-60R, you able to scan and re-insert the correct P/L, manually. But, what about the Icom-T7H?

I purchase my Yaesu FT-60R for the direct program feature, even though I do use a computer programming basic operation, prior. Does Icom have those capabilities? Think about the idea also, what is current on the market?

Cliff, N6CTW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: