Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universal Radio  (Read 5669 times)
W0JTC

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2009, 04:23:32 PM »

I placed an order with Universal Radio on Nov 5 and all but 2 items were received within a week...The other 2 items took another week to arrive because they were back ordered...I think they have the best website of all the major radio suppliers, easy to navigate and easy to order from...I will do business with them again, very happy with their prices too, they beat everyone else on the items I purchased...
WASKG5OY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »

I've placed several orders with Universal Radio over the past month and a half.

All of them have come through fine and on time.

There was a couple back orders on one order that arrived a week or two later than hoped.

All and all it has been smooth sailing.  Course I had no issues to fuss with so can't comment
on customer support.

Paid with CC all online. 

I'm glad outfits are online like this as the only Ham radio vendor in my area is a good 60 miles north of me
and on the other side of Houston. I would not like having to drive through all that. Thanks but no thanks. Mail order
is working for me. Gas costs alone would eat up the mailing costs and far more!

Now, WB5UZI
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »

I've used Universal Radio for almost all of my purchases. I have never had a problem. They ship pretty fast. I purchased a radio back around May of this year and about a month later it was twenty dollars cheaper on sale. I called them and they gave me a twenty dollar credit and they really didn't have to but I guess they wanted me to be satisfied so they entertained me. Thank you Universal Radio. I do believe they have the best website to photo's of not just the radios but radio accessaries too. If you simply wanted to see what a car charger for an HT looks like, they have it. Not just item numbers with prices. When it comes to their prices too, alot of times they're prices beat anyone else. Whenever I look for anything amateur radio I visit their site first.
WA3YAY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »

Always had a nice experience with UR...AND they put a picture of my cat on the website. How sweet is that.
CTHAM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »

they love cats LOL

I made my first order from them last week a Diamond MR-77 it shipped fast One concern is because I just ordered a antenna I don't understand why they would put a 7 in. long block of wood in the box.

I have to agree they have the best website and they still keep the older radios up along with the info.
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

I live only 30 minutes from Universal and they are pretty decent to buy from. I do not like mail order, when I want something, I do not like waiting. I have always been treated well there. I returned a radio I bought the day before, it had been out of the box and it was obvious. Their policy on such is to charge a 15% restocking fee, but they waived it and had to sell that radio as demo at a loss. It was a good over all expericne and one that got them $500 more from me a week later.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »

Yep Universal is a great place, anyone that passes Columbus or Reynoldsburg should visit.  And see the cats too.  But all they got is cats, if you want the dog radios, look at the reviews of some other dealers! Cheesy
KJ4SLP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:25:06 AM »

They have the best website out there for browsing if you aren't just sure what you want.  The only complaints I have are that they seem to take a long time to ship everything and, if you call to inquire, they act like you have hurt their feelings simply by asking when they might put your Zap-O-Matic 802-J in the mail.  A trifle defensive they are, and I am the easiest customer on the earth to work with.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:00:06 AM »

I like Universal Radio. The prices are OK, and you get a lot of information about the item. I only wish they could add some sort of stock-level indicator, so that I would know if the particular piece of equipment I was looking for was in stock, out of stock, or about to go out of stock.

I've never had any problems with them, other than sometimes items I want are back-ordered.

-- Tom
N4MB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »

I placed an order for the components to install a Larsen 2/70 antenna over the weekend - coil/whip combo, NMOK base and angle mount. I paid full boat retail on all of these components.

Universal isn't a discount dealer, and this was a small order, so okay.

The website was easy to navigate but stock quantity wasn't indicated like their competitor.

On Wednesday of the following week I got an email with an indication that the antenna was backordered. I replied to the email with a couple of questions and asking if they were going to compensate me in any way for the backorder - I was expecting perhaps 2 day shipping.

To my surprise, I immediately received an email back:

"Thank you for your email. Due to the volume of emails received emails are usually answered in 1 - 2 business days. "

I feel that Universal Radio doesn't need my full-margin business enough to answer their emails promptly. I also believe that when a retailer dodges questions about their stock, they don't want you to know that a large portion of their order fulfillment comes from a distributor or manufacturer, and they have no intention to keep inventory in things like, say, Larsen antennas.

I have ordered MANY times from Gigaparts, HRO, and others and average 2 or 3 Internet transactions per week for one thing or another.

They may be nice people and have a nice store, and I love cats, but their level of Internet service leaves something to be desired.

Mickey, N4MB
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 05:42:31 AM »

I've dealt with Universal Radio in the past and will do so again. But the only way to determine what they may actually have in stock, is to call them, and ask, then they go check what they have.

I'm all for websites with real-time inventory status, they're important. But Universal doesn't have such a thing. They do have a pretty nice website (I like the fact that I can browse through a half-century of radios, sorta like a catalog of almost every radio I've ever owned or seen) but it's obviously done by a real radio enthusiast, not by someone who is into real-time E-commerce.

Speaking of which, the guys at Universal Radio are obviously real radio enthusiasts. I think that's why I keep going back despite the inconvenience of no real-time inventory. I actually enjoy calling them up on the phone, because talking with them about the products they have actually helps me in a way a website cannot, but obviously that doesn't match everyone's expectations.
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »

I have to agree with some of the backorder comments. I made my first order with them last month, a wattmeter and a couple jumper cables. They sent an email the next day confirming shipment and UPS soon had it on my doorstep. What a disappointment, only the cables were sent and an invoice saying "backorder" for the wattmeter. The backorder date came and went and now they don't know when it will be. They were nice, didn't charge my card and offered to cancel the order but still....

I wish they had been up front and described the item as out of stock in the beginning so I could have simply ordered elsewhere or been prepared to wait. At least they should put up a warning that items may or may not be in stock and to call first. I know they have a nice website but I don't think this is a good way to do business. Do yourself a favor and call them before ordering online.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
W2EM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »

Most of my radio equipment has been purchased through Universal.  Some of the items were backordered but they tell you the approximate date it will arrive.  I had one item go bad and they replaced it without problem.  As stated, the website is very informative and helpful. Good honest company.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »

Have been using them for a long with no probelms.  Outstanding customer support!!!!! Cheesy
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 11:15:28 PM »

Universal Radio 's strength is their good organized, yet simple web site.
I believe because of that many people buy from them, because they can buy in QTY's they get discount  --> we get discount   at the end.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: