Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Control Via Internet  (Read 430 times)
K9YC

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2003, 11:27:59 AM »

I'm in the initial planning stages for setting up a remote HF base station on a mountaintop 2,000 miles from my home QTH. In addition to the obvious questions about antennas, I need to choose a rig that has good control possibilities as well as good performance. CW is VERY important to me, so I need to be able to send and receive CW via the internet, in addition to all of the other control functions.

I've heard very good things about Elecraft as a CW radio, and I see some control software for it. Does anyone have experience with this combination? I've always loved TenTec gear for CW. Any other suggestions?  

Jim
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 11:12:28 PM »

Be sure that you comply with all the provisions of Part 97.213 of the FCC Rules.  You'll need a 3 minute timeout at the transmitter if the control link goes down.  You'll have to prevent unauthorized access and operation (password access?).  And you'll have to have a copy of your license posted at the transmitter site.

CW via the Internet?  I'd send ASCII text to the remote site and let the computer key the transmitter.  The computer could decode the Morse at the remote end, or you could ship the audio back and copy it yourself.

The K2, the Omni VI, and the Orion define the high end of amateur transceiver performance.  Everyone I know who has a K2 is happy with it.  

I have an Omni VI (Opt. 3) and an Argonaut V.  The Argonaut is a great small rig, but I wouldn't want to use it for serious DX work or contesting.  A used Omni VI (Opt. 3) or VI+ is probably the best buy on the market.  They define the peak of the performance per dollar curve.  The new Orion is a better radio--at about twice the price.  I plan to upgrade to an Orion as soon as I can.
WB8ROL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 09:49:27 PM »

Running real time CW via ANY internet link won't always be very successful.  With most internet links it will seldom work well.  The internet is just NOT all that reliable for real time stuff.  The best I have done is to use Windows XP at work and at home hooked up to the station (30 miles) -- Use XP's (XP Pro) built in Remote Connection feature, and use the digital mode software.  Some digital mode software programs (like HamScope) will do CW but unless the other person is running digitalized CW or has a PERFECT fist .... well your mileage may vary ...

AJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 01:42:49 AM »

2000 miles away?  Wow, you better not forget any tools when you need to go do maintenance. ;-)

AJ3U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: