Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake 2C With 6 volt tube?  (Read 759 times)
K3ZL

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »

I bought 2C recently and notice that the V1 tube is a 6BZ6.  The manual says that the V1 is a 12BZ6.  Also, Others have said that they never saw a 2C with the 6BZ6.  However, the chassis clearly is embossed with the 6BZ6 label for that socket.  And, the pin for the heater measures out a 6 volts.  My question:  Have any of you on this forum seen this in other Drake 2C's?  I can send you pictures if you email me.  The serial number is 1631.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »

Why not just trace the wiring and see if some other tube's filament or a lamp or resistor is in series with V1.  If you measure 6.3 VAC with the tube out of the circuit then there is something funny going on.
Allen
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »

Not familiar with the S/Ns, but I have a 2-C and V1, the RF amplifier stage, is a 12BZ6.  The schematic in the manual shows it as a 12BZ6 and shows its heater wired across the 12V winding of the power transformer.

Possibly there were variants of this, but mine is definitely a 12BZ6.  For that matter, the other four tubes are also 12V.

It's not a bad receiver!  However its older brother, the 2-B, blows it away.  I'm looking for the matching transmitter 2-NT if you know anyone who has one...just building a "nostalgia" station.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:33:28 AM »

Apparently Drake made at least two versions of the 2C.  I have both of them in my boat anchor collection.  One has the 12 olt tube and the other one has a 6 volt tube.  I also have what appears to be the original manual for each receiver.  Both manuals show a 12BZ6.  Go figure.

Dick  AD4U
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »

I also had this delimna. Evidently, the 12BZ6 was a LOT more costly than the 6BZ6 (which is one of my favorite tubes). I believe Drake made a running production change to save some $$$.
Kinda like the way they 'cost reduced' the R-4B into the R-4C.....
I have three 4Bs, and one 4C. 'nuf said.....
ron
N4UE
AA8EE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »

My 2C also has a 6bz6. I thought a previous owner was playing games... S/N is 2078. Does anyone one know the wiring change for the 6 v filament voltage?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: