Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Net protocol question  (Read 257 times)
OLDGEEZER

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »

Hello Elmers....

I am one of the controllers on two different nets one HF the other VHF, we have some women operators who check in and it has been my practice, on say a round of five checkins, to first call in the lady operator, even if she was the last to check in. (the old ladies before gentlemen thing)

I was very recently chastised by a male operator for that practice, he said "there is no gender" in amatuer radio....

Interesting observation from his point and it has me wondering..... Am I doing it wrong? Your comments please....
KG4OVU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:14:12 AM »

As a moderately old geezer myself, I think you are doing exactly as you should. It is courteous, reflects well on your upbringing, and beyond causing you extra work has no negative effect. Sounds to me like a good way to go!  
On the other hand, if you were taking calls in the order they arrived you would also be correct (but not seem as nice). That all goes back to the title "Net Control" - beyond the rules of the net it is your show. It is the little extras you provide when running a net that make it a good place to be.

The concept that there is no gender in amateur radio is a bit tough for me to swallow. There are just too many examples that show gender to be a consideration. YL night at the Indy 500 is an easily remembered example for anyone who got in that pile-up.
KG4OVU
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »

True Gentlemen know how to treat the ladies in a gentlemanly manner and True Women know how to accept the respect given and do like-wise as befits.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »

This really depends on the type of net.

If the net serves any real skill sharpening function like training or practice or if it is a traffic or emergency net, then the fellow objecting is absolutely correct.

If the net only serves as a social gathering and is not for training or improving operating skills, then you are correct.

Tom

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:59:19 PM »

I concur with Tom. If it's a casual Net, the net control operator should be allowed to run it the way he wants - within reason of course - to give the Net its own character.

Anyone who insists that a Net be run in a specific rigid fashion is free to start their own Net.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »

"I was very recently chastised by a male operator for that practice, he said "there is no gender" in amatuer radio...."

Next time he says something silly like that (and he will) ask him if HE will run next week's Net. That will shut him up real quick, trust me.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:03:54 PM »

I think this is just trouble. If the net control calls for answers by gender......what would he do if someone checked in with an eunuch callsign?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: