Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memphis Amateur Electronics almost a SK  (Read 13638 times)
KD4EUH

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »

Memphis Amateur Electronics came into being as a merger of Sere(W4TNP)Rose(W4RMW)Electronics and Germantown Amateur Supply(KU4O) in 1980 .The company did well over the years featuring new and used equipment. Stan(W4RMW) did the service and Marshall(KU4O) did the trading.  MAE was one of the first to publish a complete catalog, was heavily involved in phone sales and later into the internet. In 2004, the business was sold to Tom(K4TTA) .   Marshall consented to stay on as an employee. It is now December 2009 and we are saying 73 to the only Amateur store in Memphis as the anticipated last day is 31 December.  The Memphis amateurs will miss the coffee and fellowship.

John Lovett
KD4EUH
a former part-time employee
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »

Bill I hope things look up for you in 2010. I think it's very tough to try to make a living in ham radio these days with nobody spending money. Hams are notoriously cheap and it's a business tough to sell in these days.

Hope things look up for all these ham retailers too. The hobby has changed alot in the 30+ years I've been in it. Some unfortunately not for the better.

73 and all the best.
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »

Everyone is notoriously cheap, not just hams. It they were not why would WalMart exist? I deal with the ham radio market and have been for the past 10 years now. 2009 was a very good year for me, Dec. is slow but it usually is and there is still almost 2 weeks left. Last December was slow but in January it came back with a roar as I am sure this January will.
  The secret to selling in any market not just ham radio is putting something out there that is better and that not everyone and their brother is offering as well. In business it'called "the edge". It takes more effort to have an edge but IMO it is the way to survive and succeed.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »

"the edge"

The "edge" is lower prices than the other guy. This is why Walmart sells more. Simple. Lower Prices and good service/refund policies.

Hamradio stores do not seem to compete any more. They all have about the same prices. The internet is a great tool for getting the best price. Small places like Memphis Electronics suffer.

Hams go to a local store like Memphis Electronics, demo the equiptment, and go home and buy from the internet so they do not have to pay sales taxes which on a 3 or 4K radio can be huge.

Stan K9IUQ
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »

Stan
  Lower prices is certainly an edge and will work if you can pull it off. In our case we manufacture our own products from scratch, I would not even attempt to resell someone else's products, if we did the only way we would have an edge on the competition is the way you pointed out, lower prices. IMO that's a tough way to go.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »

RE: Memphis Amateur Electronics almost a SK       Reply
>by K9IUQ on December 19, 2009    Mail this to a friend!
"the edge"

The "edge" is lower prices than the other guy. This is why Walmart sells more. Simple. Lower Prices and good service/refund policies.<

::Wal-Mart has "good service?"

I didn't know that.  I've only been in a Wal-Mart twice in my life and I thought it had to be the most horrible place to buy anything I could possibly imagine.  Even the "check out" experience was not good.

Anything they have that I might be interested in I can buy at COSTCO for the same price or lower, with "self check out" and getting back $2 for every $100 spent as a rebate from AMEX.  If I ever return to a Wal-Mart, it would surprise me.

Yesterday I did some last minute Christmas shopping, checked the "best prices" at Wal-Mart for a couple of auto GPS systems and a printer for my daughters, and then went to Fry's and bought all three (identical) items for about 10% less than Wal-Mart.  Since our sales tax here is about 10%, that equated to a true 11% savings, without having to wait in line.  :-p
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:30:37 AM »

Wal-Mart has "good service?"

You bet. Buy a $1000 LCD Tv at Walmart. Take it home  and use it for a few weeks. Decide you do not like it and take it back. Walmart will REFUND your money no problem. Try that with AES or HRO....

"COSTCO for the same price or lower"

You neglect to say it costs $50 or more to get a membership at Costco. It does not cost anything to shop at Walmart...

We do not have Costco's or Fry's where I live.

Stan K9IUQ
KD4EUH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:15:13 PM »

Memphis Amateur Electronics ceased to exist as we knew it when Marshall (KU4O) turned in his keys on 11 Feb 2010.   The 3 element beam, VHF/UHF antennas and tower were taken down on 13 Feb.
It is a sad day in Memphis.

John
KD4EUH
N2WMD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 07:36:31 AM »

Indeed you are right John,
It was a sad day in Memphis and a sign of things to come I think.
Well, at least we still have "Radio" Shack..."You've got questions? We have free cell phones!"
KD4EUH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »

Hey Scott.  I still see Marshall at the "ham breakfast" at Danvers.  I miss the coffee and fellowship over on Wells Station Road.

John
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 05:04:19 AM »

Yep we still have Radio Shack. You have questions they have blank stares. I worked for the company when I got out of college. Made it up to store manager. I lasted 3 years. Back then, middle 90's the company had ham radio in mind. 202, 404, 2 meter mobile. Not much but still something. The store I worked in before I became mananger had 2 hams in it. I got my ticket while I was there. Between me and the other ham we had the knowledge of the product line to assist a ham of they came in looking a thingamajig or most other things. Ask us and we could at leaast carry to the right section and most of the time if we werent really busy we would pull the item for you. If you came in and bought coax we would sell you the pl-259s and solder them on if time permitted or if you were willing to wait. We had hams that would stop by if the xyl was in the mall shopping just to see what was new. Today if you go in a Radio Shack and said something about ham radio they would wonder what kind of sandwich that is to have ham and radio in its name. I was so glad when I left and went to work in a prison. Less stress and more time off to hunt during OCT, NOV and DEC.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »

This is a sad tale, but having been a ham for more than 40 years, I wonder if too many "customers" stopped by for only "coffee and fellowship" and bought their gear from the national big box stores.  Coffee and fellowship is great but they will not keep the doors open.  Happens all the time.

Dick  AD4U
KE7BDI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »

Hams who are not loyal to a local supplier, who stocks gear, demo's the gear, provides advice, maybe offers used gear as well as new, and a lot of other benefits to hams...those guys simply push the small businesses out the door.

Seattle lost a terrific long time local dealer in the 90's and there was only one reason....hams do not understand the value of a local source of supply until they loose it.

You simply must buck the trend to low bid everything...decide pay a bit more to support your guy...if you are lucky enough to have one left.

John
KE7BDI
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 03:44:36 PM »

Hams who are not loyal to a local supplier, who stocks gear, demo's the gear, provides advice, maybe offers used gear as well as new, and a lot of other benefits to hams...those guys simply push the small businesses out the door.
John
KE7BDI

It's not just Hams, it's just about everyone.
The Government decided to let Internet companies off the hook with sales Taxes, I guess that was to spark the Internet store revolution.  OK now that it's been sparked the Government refuses to add sales Tax, so these guys are able to sell at an automatic 5-7% discounted price. Add in the fact that half the time these online stores just do drop shipments, so they have no real inventory and you have all the ingredients to kill off retail stores.  Governments don't really care about the small guy, it's more profitable for them to deal with Mega companies like Wallymart were the IRS gets one big check, rather than plucking it out of hundreds of small stores and ditto for the big online boys.
N8PMG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »

We had friends that moved from Michigan to Memphis.  I was excited to learn there was a real store that carried ham gear not far from their house.  When we visited them and I found the store, I got my first look at the then new VX-1, held it in my hand, and walked out with my new purchase.  I was there a few times after and will enjoy the memories of a real "hands on" store.

Best wishes to those who those who made these kinds of memories for all of us possible.

73's
N8PMG
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: