Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K1 vs. Wilderness Sierra  (Read 7784 times)
KK7NF

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »

I'm getting ready to try my hand at building a QRP rig, and would like input on these two choices.

The Sierra, with the Kc2 keyer, front panel for the Kc2 and two band modules would run $358; The comparably featured K1 with two bands runs $299. I'm not as concerned with the $59 difference as I am with build experience and performance, although the cost difference _may_ come into play. On paper, the K1 seems to get the nod. Opine away.

TNX
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »

The K1 is a newer radio by the same guy, Wayne Burdick N6KR.  It is a more refined design than the Sierra.
N0OKS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »

No doubt about it, the K3 is the vastly better rig. Pop for four bands while you are at it.

Mark, NØOKS
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »

I have both Rigs and the performance is very similar. I would say
the RX performance on the K1 is slightly better and the K1 will
put out 7w max as compared to the Sierra which runs about 3W on most bands (it can be modified however at the expense of higher power consumption).

I think it is actually cheaper to build a 4 band K1 than to get the equivalent 4 band Sierra (assuming you also add the KC2).

Personally I would suggest that if you are ok with a 4 band rig go with the K1. If you want the flexibility of being able to build additional modules to cover all of the HF bands go with the Sierra.

If you go the K1-route then I suggest you get the 4 band K1. You can add the KAT1 tuner later (very handy when operating portable). Skip the internal battery option as you will only be able to run 3W and it is simply easier to use an external 9.6V NiMH R/C pack which weighs almost nothing and you don't have to open the rig up to replace or recharge batteries. I often run my rigs off of either 8 or 10 AA NiMH
cells.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong as both are fine
rigs that will yield many contacts.

Michael VE3WMB
WB3T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:05:46 AM »

The Sierra is far more frequency stable than the K1. Also, I like the fact that my Sierra has 9 bands where the K1 can only handle 4. You can add additional bands with another band module, but it is not really field swappable unless you bring tools. The swap on a full-up K1 takes about 15 minutes - on the Sierra about 5 seconds. Also, the Sierra has a continuously variable IF bandwidth. The K1 has only 3 settings which is kind of limiting.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:53:30 AM »

As stated before Alan,you can't go wrong with either rig,it's just a matter of your operating style and band changing preference.I built my K-1 2 band 20/40m as they are my favorite,however I do like 30m also,so built a Small Wonder Lab 30m rig because of the time needed to change modules in the K-1.I find no difference between 3 and 5 watts with either rig for both dx/local contacts,also no drift problems after a 5 min. warm up.The main things to be concerned about are your antenna and getting a handle on your day/nite band propagation,then you will be a happy QRP camper.Have fun building.  73  Jim
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »

The KC2 is no longer available. That said the Sierra is an excellent rig. I haven't built a K1 (I have built a K2). One thing to consider is with the Sierra all bands are available 160-10 meters. And QRP really shines on the upper bands*. Its an easy build, fun to operate, extremely portable, and many mods out there. The power mod is easy to do while you build the rig as is the RIT mod. The Yahoo users group is great also.

I'm not knocking the K1 as I think Elecraft is a great radio firm, I love my K2 and the K3 is just spectacular. I just thought I would point out some of the good things about a Sierra.

*I just finished working DXCC at the miliwatt level (about 800 mW) in less than a year running a Sierra and a windom. Over 50% of those QSOs came on 10 and 12 meters. QRP is fun anywhere, but when the upper bands are open the world is at your QRP fingertips.

Whichever you choose, building your rig and either of these choices will give you a great rig and a bunch of fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: