Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THF-6A Pgm software  (Read 1124 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2003, 07:46:38 PM »

I'm trying to get started with PC programming of my new Kenwood THF-6A.  I don't have the cable yet, but thought I'd start building a file for programming the memory channels with the software program downloaded from Kenwood's web site.  I can't find anything in the THF-6A manual about PC programming, and there are no help files with the software.  How do I get started?

Thanks & 73,

Chuck  NI0C
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 08:52:02 PM »

Not much help is true.  Enter in the frequencies, tones and give them names is about it, but is faster than keyboard entry. When you get the cable make sure that Menu 9 "PC" is selected, press "MNU" after "PC" is selected or it will go back to default setting.  Then when your through set Menu 9 back to "SP/MIC" if you plan to use a external speaker michrophone.  Com port settings are standard 9600, 8N1, no hardware flow.  If the error message "unable to communitcate" appears on the computer, turn the HT off for a second or so and back on with the cable inserted into the HT and computer, seems to be fussy at times.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 09:49:04 PM »

Thanks for your reply.  I'm having trouble using the software.  Can't seem to be able to enter the frequencies.  Software won't respond.  How do I get started.  Tell me what to do starting from loading the Kenwood software.  (Maybe I need the cable to read what I have in the THF-6A first?).  

K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 08:55:48 PM »

Once you have downloaded the Mfx000.exe file, double click on that, is should give you a MCP_f6F7.exe in the directory you extracted the mfx software. Double click on the MCP_f6F7.exe and you should see three tabs, Memory, Menu-1, Menu-2.  On the right side should be the three bands 144MHz , 220MHz, 440MHz, highlight the one where you want to program a frequency, then on the left side double click a channel and enter the frequency, like 146.520 or a repeater frequency.  Accept the defult off sets unless it is a special off set for a repeater.  You should be able to program frequencies in and save the file as "*.fx" with out connection to the radio. View the Menu-1 and Menu-2 tabs, they are pretty much intuitive. Created a folder on my hard drive called "THF6" and extracted all the software there and saved my memory files there.  When you have the cable, click on the MCP_f6F7.exe and bring up the memory file and then write to the HT.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 08:37:44 AM »

K0HZI:
Many thanks for sticking with this OT on this one!  After reading your latest post, I got it to work.  My main mistake was in not DOUBLE clicking on the highlighted frequency!

73 & thanks again for your help.

Chuck  NI0C
N6YMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 03:20:33 PM »

Check out Link700 - much better than the software provided by Kenwood and supports several Kenwood radios.

http://www.wa3hrl.com/link700/

73, Bob N6YMA
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 11:50:56 PM »

N6YMA,
Thank you very much for this info.  I downloaded a trial version of LINK700, and agree that it has better features than the Kenwood software.  I downloaded my radio to a new file for Link700, added more channels and sorted them (nice editing and sorting features), then uploaded the new data to my radio.  Works great! Thanks again.

73 de Chuck  NI0C
N1IIC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 07:00:29 PM »

Has anyone found a schematic for the programming cable?

Thanks

Jason
K9DCI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 05:59:05 PM »

It's in the manual.
Steve K9DCI
KD7WPQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 06:47:18 AM »

Does anyone know of any software that will program the TH-F6A in linux cause Kenwood's software won't install under wine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: