Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DON10, WD1/TT, D10 Telephone Cable  (Read 3356 times)
ZR6UY

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »

Can one use Don-10 ex-militray telephone cable for wire antennas?  What is the spec, ie velocity factor and do one use 1 or both twisted pairs?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:21:24 AM »

Well, it is cheap! It is also copper plated steel, and I suspect a little heavy for a wire antenna. One thing is for sure, if you have strong enough supports holding it up, you could almost hang in the middle without breaking it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

G8ZGK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:10:12 AM »

Did use it with 2-8MHz military low-power comms around 1970. Tie a knot, and split the wire... you have a dipole and twin twisted feeder in one item. We calculated that the impedance of the twisted feeder was around 120 ohms. No idea if it was true, but it worked OK.

Detail:
Four tinned-copper strands and three galvanized-steel strands.
Inner insulation of polyethylene and outer nylon insulation jacket.
Tensile strength of approximately 200 pounds (both conductors).
Weighs 48 pounds per l.6 kilometers (1 mile).

73, Derf
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:48:20 AM »

If it conducts electricity, it will work as an HF band antenna wire.  Nevermind all the modeling/calculations/lower-resistance-is-better crowd, I've even utilized solid steel fencing wires for wire antennas in the past and they worked well, even once they got rusty.  The mil stuff you cite is copper plated steel anyway, so not a kill at all in any electrical sense of the word.  

That stuff is rather heavy in weight, though, but if you have stout insulators and if you can support it, you can use it.  Egg insulators that keep the two wire loops inside one another should the insulator crack are a very good idea here.
GM1SXX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »

DON10 wire is excellent for building aerials/antennae.

It consists of seven cores.. three plated steel and 4 of plated copper in a double layer plastic jacket, so it has the dual benefits of tensile strength and electrical conductivity.   Because it's springy, it's easier to use crimp ferrules  to make off the ends rather than trying to tie off the ends.  Wire diameter is 2.32mm and each wire in the core is 0.28mm diameter.  It's my favourite wire for building aerials.

73 Al.
GM1SXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: