Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound care interface for TS570  (Read 1170 times)
N5DHC

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2004, 03:50:45 PM »

I need info on connecting my 570 to my computer for sound card RTTY.
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 07:59:23 PM »

Rick, I would suggest a simple and inexpensive soundcard interface. There are many to choose from on the net and in the mag' ads. I have used Donner Interfaces for 3 differant rigs. They are designed specifically for the rig of your choice. Well made, very simple to setup and not expensive. Used them on two TS570DGs , a TS-940SAT and now with a FT-920. On the 570, it connects thru the DIN jack on the rear of the rig. Very nice, no cables to fight with at the mic jack. I still have the unit for the 570 if your interested. How's that for a quick plug? hi. 73 and have fun. The 570 is a great soundcard rig. Max  max@glwb.net
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 11:07:30 PM »

I've made my own soundcard interface for the 570.
Two 4n35s, 2 radio shack isolation transformers, an aluminum box, 2 trimpots, some cables and plugs, and you've had a couple of nights of fun and accomplished something.  It's not that difficult to adapt the hundreds of designs out there on the internet.  Or to just build or buy a Rascal or Rigblaster, which are not unlike most of these designs.  Homebrewing is more fun and also allows you to avoid the problem of the TS-570 transmitting RTTY FSK (vs. AFSK) "upside down" depending on whose circuit you use.  If you build it yourself, you get to control EVERYTHING.

WB8DKB's observation that the TS-570 is a "great" soundcard rig needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  I have a TS-570, I love it, it has menu entries that make sound card stuff easy, but also: 1) the DSP filter is strictly AF, which means that the radio will "hear" everything in its passband, whether or not you can "hear" it in the audio, and 2) there is no way to shut off the 570's AGC, which means if your radio "hears" it, it will show up on the S-Meter and pump down the AGC, making it impossible to hear a weak station next to a strong one.  You can mod the radio to deal with this, and you can also deal with it to some degree by learning to use your IF shift, but out of the box the AGC can't be shut off.

If you just want to ragchew on PSK, that's not a problem.  If you want to score well in RTTY contests where others are using legal-limit power, it is a BIG problem.  Don't let it scare you away, just make sure your expectations are consistent with how you plan to use your radio.  It is what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TS-570 and it's really soundcard-friendly, however I would stop short of calling it "great" for the reasons mentioned above.
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 07:49:44 PM »

To K0RFD. I understand your comment about the agc and audio dsp. I should have mentioned that you can go into the menu system where you choose the ssb filter and choose the 1800hz position. When you do this, it somehow allows the 500hz cw filter I use, to be put in line. Even though the rig is in usb mode, you can still use whatever cw filter you have installed in option slot. Then when you use the I.F.shift, it really is a dramatic differance. You just move the passband to the signal with the I.F.shift. Because you have menu'a' and 'b' , you can set the rig up for psk on menu 'a' and for other modes on menu 'b'. It really does work well. I've used this on two 570s with no problems. 73  Max
AG5Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 10:46:12 PM »

A friend of mine is trying to get his TS-570 up and running on PSK but can't get the rig to go into tranmsit.  He is using a Rascal from Buxcomm through the 13-pin din plug in the back.  Are there any adjustments needed or has anyone lese had this problem and solved it?  

Dennis
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 10:31:41 AM »

RGR, Max, I am using the 270 Hz filter in this way.
Works great.  JUST wide enough for RTTY, eliminates the AGC pumping in most cases.  Still wish the 570 had more than one accessory filter slot as I like to use the 1800 Hz filter under certain circumstances (last weekend's WPXSSB contest comes to mind).  It's not hard to remove the bottom cover and change filters, but it would be lots nicer if you could just push a button.   As I said, it is a GOOD radio for this purpose, just has enough limitations so that I can't call it great.

Regarding AG5Y's question, the 570 should work just fine with the Rascal.  The Rascal provides a PTT line on its cable, which is connected to the proper pin on the 570's ACC2 plug.  Perhaps there is an issue with how your friend has configured whatever software he is using (which you didn't specify).  Some packages let you choose whether PTT is triggered via commands on the serial port you use for rig control or by toggling either RTS or DTR on a different serial port that you have connected to ACC2.  

Although I use a homebrew interface, it is fairly similar to the Rascal (isolation transformers for audio in/out, serial port to optoisolators for PTT and FSK, all connected to ACC2).  Your friend will probably want to use one serial port on his computer for rig control (reading/setting frequency, mode, etc.) and a different one for PTT (although with SOME software you can use the rig control port for PTT).

Typically when you have problems triggering PTT, it's that the software wants to use RTS and the hardware is connected to DTR, or vice-versa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: