Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT 897 D vs IIC 700  (Read 4034 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »

After two storks , I must drop CW on my K2, and go to the phone,Which of the two FT 897 d or IC 700  or others in the same price rang would y'all recommend ?
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »

You might want to consider a TenTec Argonaut V.  Check the comments on the rig in the Review section.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »

I have owned both the IC7000 and the FT-897D. Altho I like both radios, the Icom is superior to the 897d. The 7000 also costs more but is worth it.

Go for the 7000.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:27:56 AM »

"You might want to consider a TenTec Argonaut V"

Why?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

The Argonaut is a competely different class of radio than the 897D or 7000.

Lets see, the Tentec Argonaut is 20 watts and only 160-10 mtrs. Like all TT gear it was over priced, which is why it was discontinued - could not compete with radios like the FT897d or FT817D.

The 897D and 7000 are 100 watt radios, 160 thru 440mhz. A big difference in coverage and power.

Stan K9IUQ
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:06:18 AM »

The Ten-Tec Argonaut V was discontinued because some of the
components used in it were not ROHS compliant, and became
unavailable.

Scott W5ESE
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »

ICOM 7000 is the HANDS DOWN choice! The specs speak for themself!

Clayton
W4KVW
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »

A lot depends on how you are going to use the rig.  If you are going to put it on the desk in the shack and leave it there then get the ic7000.  If you are going to take it camping, in and out of a car and use it in the boat, then get the 897d.

Also, specs are certainly one thing but actually using the radio is totally another.  You certainly wouldn't buy a car  without test driving it and you shouldn't buy a radio without the same test drive.  The display in the ic7000 is a whole lot better than that of the 897d but using them side by side, the performance is very similar irregardless of what the specs say.
Art
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »

"using them side by side, the performance is very similar irregardless of what the specs say."

Having owned both and had the 897D and the 7000 side bye side, the above statement is false.

The 897D is pretty useless on CW unless you buy a cw filter- $$$$. The 7000 lets you configure your builtin DSP cw filters any width you want.

The 7000 is VASTLY superior on RTTY using twin peak filters just like the PROIII. It also has a builtin RTTY decoder.

The noise floor on the 7000 is lower than the 897D, the NR is much better on the 7000..

Nope performance is NOT similar at all between these 2 radios.....

Not close in the bells and whistles department either. The 7000 has many more features that are useful.

Stan K9IUQ
K7LRB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:12:36 AM »

Charles,

In the flying biz we have a saying, "TMI" (too much information). This refers to the often daunting displays of flight data available to the pilot, made possible with "glass cockpits". To paraphrase a little, there is "TMC" in ham radio (too many choices). Smiley

You apparently have whittled it down to two choices. I have not owned an 897 but have owned both the IC-706 and the IC-7000, both for many years. I run them mobile. I tend to agree with Stan. I have often thought of "swapping" one of my 7000s for one of the compact Yaesu or Kenwood rigs, but after reviewing the specs, the only reason I "might" try one of the others is if they were priced significantly less than the 7000.... SIGNIFICANTLY. They are not.

Someone has already pointed out some of the differences between the Argonaut V and the rigs you are considering. Add to that, no 6m, no 2m, no 440cm. Also, the Argonaut is MUCH larger than the other two and no detachable faceplate. I have owned the Argonaut V and it is a fine little rig if you can live with the 20 watts. However, as previously mentioned, it is simply not in the same class with the other two.

I can't imagine a better mobile/portable rig than the IC-7000 but I am sure there are others who will disagree. (Just please keep it civil Smiley

Best of luck with your decision and whatever you do, HAVE FUN!

de Larry
K4YZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 07:26:25 AM »

**"using them side by side, the performance is very similar irregardless of what the specs say."

*Having owned both and had the 897D and the 7000 side bye side, the above statement is false.

Not necessarily false...Just subjective.

Again, it's in the purpose of the use and the preferences of the operator.

Steve, K4YZ
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:49:24 AM »

I like the rest agree on the Icom 7000. In fact I own two (2) of them!

For QRP work I have to warn you that running off of battery power could be an issue. First, the current drain on receive alone is about 2 amps. The Icom 7000 will not last you long on a small, or moderate battery power than a K2 or 897D. So if battery consumption is not going to be an issue cause your going to use a big battery, or your going to run from a constant power source there's no beating the Icom 7000.

I think the K2 QRP has the best power consumption rating for QRP from a multi band transceiver!

73!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:59:51 AM by N2RRA » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 12:58:52 AM »

I agree with K4YZ!

There's absolutely no way the 897D has the same performance as the Icom 7000. The 897D "Does not" have anywhere near the same capabilities as the ICOM 7000 and in no way possibly can perform the same. What may be a subjective opinion can be in receiver sensitivity, but think the IC-7000 was better at most times. The rest is a no brain er!

The only way to know this is to own both and if your a compatent operator it will be a no brain er when comparing them. What I mean by this is simply a user that does not have a problem figuring the menu and knowing when and in what combination to use all the DSP functions and more. There is no other radio that has capabilities in a small box for portable use that actually has features where everything works.

Did I mention it is very user firendly over the 897D?

73!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:03:26 AM by N2RRA » Logged
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 04:43:39 AM »

Several are mentioning 'specs'...  For the most part: Specs are designed to sell a radio.  i.e. :some of the very minimal differences in some specs are not even determinable on the TX or RX of a rig, in real world terms.  Better observations are inclusive of the 'test drive'...

I recently did some test driving and the 897 display just leaves a LOT to be desired.  If you're acquainted with batteries, you can get the same radio as the 897 with the 857D.  Get your own battery and have a much more comfortable display.

the 857D -vs- the IC 7000...

#1) Bring your own head phones or external speaker that you normally use because ALL small format rigs have crappy internal speakers...?

IMHO...

:  The IC 7000 is almost TWICE the price and the IF stage movements on the IC 7000 (for me) left my ears very fatigued.  LOTS of hissy and uncomfortable junk coming from the IC 7000 that was not heard in the FT-857D after adjusting the parameters of the carrier points of the RX on USB and LSB.  On cw...  The 857d AND 897d WINS (HANDS DOWN!) The inclusive DSP filtering on the 857D (and 897D) was superior to the IC 7000.

For my ears... the 857D and 897D was more pleasant to listen to.  The S to N  ratios on the 857D and 897D seemed to be better than the IC 7000 as well.  Yes, the display on the IC 7000 is the cats meow for mobile rigs (or even base units) in the class and size of them, but what my ears can hear and remain unfatigued in long spells of radio addiction terms, to me, is far more important than a fancy 5 color display.

Lastly,  this is something YOU should do too...  if there is a radio shop near you that you can sit at a bench and play with both rigs... do that!

For the 'bang for the buck...  I ended up, after a nice test drive, purchasing the FT-857D.  I really like it and it cost half of the IC 7000 which, for me was quite uncomfortable to listen to (especially on CW).

Good RF adventures to you and Happy 2010.

Jim N8NSN
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »

Or, of course, just add the SSB option to your K2...
AA5TB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »

I have used the FT-897D for two years now.  I love it.  I've worked most of the CW contests with it with zero issues.  In fact, it has a lot of really useful CW features.  You do have to know how to use the rig to the best out of it.  It does lack in the DSP department with its audio only DSP. It's not bad at QRP levels except sometimes there is a high power spike on transmit after major menu changes that can damage QRP power meters and such.  It's a great little 'DC to daylight' radio.

I've never used an IC-7000.    

I owned a Ten-Tec Argonaut V for several years and I liked most things about it except for the lack of an RF Gain control and it was terribly inefficient on transmit.  I measured something like 67 Watts input for 5 Watts output!  Since I'm one who actually uses the RF Gain control it was sometimes fatiguing for me to use the radio.  

Reviews are very subjective.  Just about any radio these days is way better then what we had 20-30 years ago (if you subtract the nostalgia factor).

I mostly use a SW-40+ for my real QRP work.

Steve - AA5TB
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: