Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT897D vs IC 700  (Read 2177 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »

What would you pick, for all around use , the FT 897D , IC7000 or other in this price range . Also what mobile antenna system would you want ? thanks for the help !
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »

For my money, the IC-7000.

The Yaesu's design is almost 11 years old, and the IC-7000 is approaching 5 years. The Yaesu uses AF DSP, the Icom IF DSP. Both have a following, and both have shortcomings, albeit different in scope and depth.

If you're into Mega-Link, Echo-Link, the Icom doesn't send live TouchTones, and only has 4 memories for same. It is slightly more sensitive than the Yaesu, and it is certainly smaller. The FT-857 is basically the same radio, but packaged in a smaller box, and can be remoted like the Icom. I've owned both, plus a TS-480Hx. the latter has the power edge, but is somewhat larger. I personally don't like its front panel layout, but it too has a following.

The best bet is to go to your nearest dealer and play with all of them, and pick the one which best suits your operating style.

N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »

I would choose the 7000.  This display is a larger and easier to read.  I run a FT-857D in my mobile and remote mounted the head because the display is so small.  The same display is on the FT-897D but no remote head with that rig.  Also the 897 is larger so the mounting options are more limited.  

I run a Hustler Mobile antenna with resonators for 10, 15, 20, 40, and 75m with very good results.  I have also used the hamstick type antennas with good results also.

Joel - N5XTR
KL2GN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 06:13:59 PM »

My money goes to the IC 7000 as well.

I have owned all three - the 897D, 857D, and the 7000 all used in a mobile environment.  I currently use the 7000 mobile with the head remote mounted. I run this with a HI-Q 4-80 and Better RF screwdriver controller.  

Certainly not the least expensive combination for mobile use but compared to other radios or antenna systems that I have used mobile both in amateur and public safety it has been one of the best.

Before you make any decisions on your mobile rig, take the time to read through Alan's (K0BG) website.  There is a wealth of information there that is worth your time to review.

Tim, KL2GN
KC8QVO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »

For strictly mobile use I would go for the IC-7000. That is the next rig on my list for the mobile. I currently run an FT-857D, but I use the rig portable too and that becomes a hassle taking out of the truck all the time. So the IC-7000 will at some point be my mobile which will leave the FT-857D for portable.

However, I will say that the FT-897D is more ergonomic. The larger tuning knob is comfortable to operate and the buttons aren't crammed together as on the FT-857D. If you are wanting a portable rig, grab-n'-go rig, or a rig to use in the back yard or on vaccation I would look hard at the FT-897D. I wouldn't reccomend the FT-857D unless you need the compact size and (relatively) light weight.

For example - I am a backpacker and the FT-857D goes with me in the pack. All said and done my radio setup adds 15lbs to my load. So the FT-857D was the only logical choice, if you can call it that. I need an HF/VHF/UHF rig and I didn't want to limit myself to 5 watts (FT-817ND). Plus, the head is remotable in the FT-857D so it makes an ideal pedestrian mobile, bike mobile, or any other kind of unique mobile type operation rig!

Though, again, if you are using the radio strictly in a mobile environment where size, weight, power, etc aren't a concern the IC-7000 would be my pick. As K0BG pointed out - it has IF DSP. With the other rigs they have optional filters (if you want to narrow the passband, such as for CW operation). With the IC-7000 that is all done digitally in the last IF stage instead. As for the noise reduction ability, I don't use it very often at all. Narrowing the passband is more useful to me (especially on CW) so the noise reduction (whether it is AF or IF) is a non-issue.

Steve, KC8QVO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: