Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modeling trap dipoles in EZNEC  (Read 1279 times)
VE7EPQ

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »

I am starting work on EZNEC and I am having a terrible time modeling a simple dipole with traps that will work.  I have not been able to find a listing on the web where someone has done a primer on this to help newbies to EZNEC model something like this.
Wanting to model an 80/40/30 dipole with traps.
If possible, I want to model the loads as RLC with known R freq. so multiple frequencies can be viewed.
Anyone know where to start?

Mike Donovan  VE7EPQ
G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:08:44 AM »

I am starting work on EZNEC and I am having a terrible time modeling a simple dipole with traps that will work.  I have not been able to find a listing on the web where someone has done a primer on this to help newbies to EZNEC model something like this.
If possible, I want to model the loads as RLC with known R freq. so multiple frequencies can be viewed.

Mike Donovan  VE7EPQ
Mike,

Can you be more specific about what problems you are having?

It should be possible to do this with a single wire. Give the wire a large, odd, number of segments, and place the source at the 50% point. Next place two identical RLC loads equidistant from the centre - for example at 25% and 75%. Adjust the LC values for trap resonance at the required frequency, and R for an appropriate Q value.

That should work - it just becomes a bit "finickey" when you are trying to adjust trap positions and overall wire length.

Hope that helps some.

Steve G3TXQ
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:17:47 AM »

Mike Donovan  VE7EPQ

Mike,

You want to change to L/C/R traps in Eznec. Go to loads menu tab, then to "other", and change to "change load type".

Does that help?

Tom
VE7EPQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 05:28:38 PM »

I was entering the reactive component of the trap as the R resistive component.  It made no sense to the software.  Another ham off-lined me an example from Eznec and I immediately saw my mistake.  I have modelled two antennas now and have taken on the project of building one.
This software is utterly fantastic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: