Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i hate ebay and paypal  (Read 1544 times)
K5END

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »

Apparently ebay and paypal have a new way to ripoff the sellers.

I was unaware of this procedure, and had I been aware of it I never would have listed a guitar on there last week.

It is a fine guitar (see item # 330386952014) and it lasted a little over a day before someone took the "buy-it-now" option.

Awesome! What a wonderful thing ebay is!

But, lo and behold, paypal says it will hold the funds for 21 days--in case of a dispute.

Huh? Hold my money for 21 days?Huh?? Why?

WTF? This was never mentioned in the T&C I read when I signed up for ebay and paypal years ago. I don't use ebay a lot, and I understand that policies change, but this is not a trivial change. I never saw any notice that this would happen. Do I need to read the fine print each time before I do a transaction on ebay? How many more of these kinds of "screws" will ebay implement whenever they get the whim?

The thing is, I have a 100% positive feedback, have never had a dispute and I am a "verified" paypal account holder.

I just got off the phone with paypal and they said it is an ebay "requirement." I called ebay and they said "paypal is holding your money." OK, so here we go with the run-around. This looks familiar. Part of their criteria is that the seller should have more than a score of 100. I don't use ebay that much. In 5 years I've had 49 transactions--all positive, by the way. I'll be using them even less now.

Ebay explained to me that this is "for the benefit of both the buyer and seller."

I said, "that's just stupid. How is that a benefit to me?"

She repeated, "well, sir, it protects both the buyer and seller."

To which I retorted, "so, what you are saying is that transactions on ebay are so likely to be fraudulent that you have implemented this policy as a way to curtail dishonest behavior?"

"No, sir..."

"then what other possible reason could there be that you would need to do this?"

Silence.

So I asked what the criteria are for funds subject to a hold. She stammered around under my rapid fire line of questioning and eventually used the word "random."

"Ohhhhhhh, so it's 'RANDOM?'" I said.

She halted and then said, "well, not 'random'..." (etc BS BS BS.)

Oh, and guess what? They are not paying me interest on the funds. But I'd bet my house they are making interest on the funds during this time.

Here is my plan of action.

1. Never use ebay again. "Foxtrot" 'em and the horse they rode in on. I can get along just fine without them.

2. Look into whether this is even freaking legal. It's just plain highway robbery.

I can't remember the last time I was this pissed. And they have me by the curlies. There ain't a damn thing I can do about it other than steps 1 and 2 above.

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 05:07:42 AM »

This started a while ago - can't remember exactly when.  If you have below a certain number of eBay transactions, and the $ amount is above some certain amount (again, can't remember what), then they will hold the money for 21 days OR until you get positive feedback.  After the first time, I don't think they hold your money anymore (they don't with me).  In my case the money was released within three days because of positive feedback.

Phil - AD5X
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:56:04 AM »

If you really get into reading the policies of both ebay, and their wholly-owned subsidiary PayPal, you'll notice the policies favor the seller most of the time. However, if you're a sometimes seller, you're screwed if the selling price is over $250 as I recall.

The real deal with ebay, which really irks me, is the inability to contact sellers directly. It is a well-known fact that ebay uses an e-mail reader which looks for key words. If they think the e-mail is meant to circumvent their auction, the e-mail gets bounced! The very few times I have purchased items listed on ebay, I've just Googled the item, and usually you can find the name of the seller and/or an e-mail address.

My best advice to anyone who buys or sells items over ebay is, don't!

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:19:03 AM »

Since E-bay went to this PAY-PAL BS - E-bay can pound sand, never again will I use ebay. 73 David
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »

My best advice to anyone who buys or sells items over ebay is, don't!

Alan, that sounds like excellent advice, and I think I will follow it.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »

Ebay is great for small things that have a known price and you can decide if the deal you are getting is fair.  It is really bad for radios and other examples of complex and expensive items.

The set up of Ebay is to shelter the seller even if the seller is at fault.   You as the buyer get little if any protection.  I got jobbed by a seller trying to sell me an HT that was mis-identified.  I withdrew my bid and got a raft of it from Ebay.  When I explained that the seller had been deceptive, they did nothing.

I will buy stuff that is not complex or expensive, and  that I can know what the price is independently of Ebay, but otherwise no.
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »

Great looking guitar! I had a pristine '58 Strat (sunburst with blond neck) that I sold for $350 years ago when I was strapped for cash. I sure wish I had that one back!! It's worth a small fortune today.
KI4VEO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »

Then you have the "Power Sellers" like Radio Mart, and others to a lesser extent, that make a habit of misrepresenting the condition of gear and deal on-line with virtual impunity because of their volume and generated revenues to e-Bay.

Take a gander at the number of "10 meter amplifiers" that are bogus cover for CB RF harmonic generators, 11 M crystals and conversions for legitimate HAM transceivers, and openly advertised "sliders" for the freebanders.

One day someone will file an "aid and abet" action against e-Bay.  I just hope I live long enough to witness the backpedaling they do as they pull the wagons in a circle and try to do an Alford plea (somebody did something wrong but it beat the hell outta me who it was).
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »

You can contact the seller. Politely ask him to mail you a Bank PO, offer a 3% discount, and explain PayPal won't pay you for three weeks or more.

just ask the buyer for his eMail adr.  Once you get that you can send a ton of pixs to him so that he can see the exact condition of your item--take the risk out of paying you with a Bank PO.

If he agrees, you can simply refund his funds thru PayPal.

If not, you can open a dispute to cancel the sale.  If they won't cancel the sale, then you can wait until PayPal pays you.

My policy, no payment, no shipment!

PayPal is a real pain in the but, as is eBay.

The employees you might talk with are just there to explain ebay and PayPal rules--they can't make any decisions or do any alterations to problem solve.

One night I bid on an item that was ending in 5 hours.  I entered the amount, went on playing around.  Around 2:30AM, I decide to got to bed.  I checked the auction and discovered my bid had an extra aero in it!

ebay was closed.
I found their policy about bid retraction; couldn't do it because they won't allow it if under so many hours to close.
I got on line help.  They actually suggested I CALL the seller and let him know, even after I pointed out the in the USA it was between 3-5AM!
They were very insistent I could only call the seller and ask him to cancel my bid.

My concern was that the bid would go for less then my error amount and the seller would have to relist.

I sent the seller an eMail.  The item sold for more than my error bid.

ebay and PayPal are just a company that knows they can set the rules however they want, and you can choose to use them or not, knowing they are the only game in town.

You'll run into the same thing if you have medical testing done or wind up in the hospital.  You have to sign a contract stating that you will pay them if your insurance won't.  In essence, they want your money if they do something not covered by insurance--they require you to know if they are doing something they should.

I always cross that portion out and write down they agree not to do anything not covered by insurance.

I learned the hard way to ask a doctor in the hospital or Urgent care if the test they want is directly related to why I'm there?  Is it covered?

Those two places know that they can rob you blind, and just turn your disputed bill over to a collection agency that threatens to destroy your credit rating if you don't pay them off.

By far, the WORST is the IRS--guilty until you prove to them that you are innocent! Now they are just legal crime family.

Bob
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »

Great looking guitar! I had a pristine '58 Strat (sunburst with blond neck) that I sold for $350 years ago when I was strapped for cash. I sure wish I had that one back!! It's worth a small fortune today.

That guitar is worth five figures now. I saw a 50's Tele recently for $54,000.

Too rich for my blood, and I'm not even a very good guitarist.
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »

i oncet bougt a linyer on eastbay from some HAM oprater and i did nt have no probblems!! may be you rip some body off oncet an now eastbay is gittin back at ya!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 09:25:29 PM »

Paypal released the funds this evening.

I had sent an email this afternoon to ebay telling them in some detail what I thought of their business practices and that I would be canceling my account. It's unknown whether this had any effect.

A positive feedback from the buyer would have released the funds immediately, but he has not entered any feedback at all. I contacted him and he said he has not opened the package yet. I got the impression he is away from home for a few days.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »

I've concluded eBay is for people in the boonies.

There's never anything I'm looking for that I can't find locally, and just go drive over to look at it and possibly buy it; ditto when it comes to selling stuff.

I don't like to buy anything sight unseen, or pay for someone to pack and ship.

My last eBay transaction was definitely my LAST one, and that was about three years ago, now.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 10:07:32 AM »

My last eBay transaction was definitely my LAST one, and that was about three years ago, now.

Yep, I never used ebay much, and won't be using it at all now. So my last ebay transaction was, well, this one.
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 05:53:29 AM »

I hate them myself.  I hate anything that gets me by the short hairs and does not let me do anything to mitigate the situation.  How on earth did you get a phone number to talk to someone?  I feel that they purposely make it very difficult to communicate with the anyone.  Then if/when they outsource the effort to India or the Philapines it will make it even more difficult.  Those pinheads do not speak the same English as I do.  I hate 'em
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: