Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats a better computer apple or ms for ham logs  (Read 911 times)
KC9HVA

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:47:49 AM »

im useing windows 98 with microlog with all windows problems and glitches. and im lookin to upgrade to a new computer maybe a apple or a dell machine. are apples anygood ? what about dell ? any of you people have any ideas on this .?

Thanks
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:59:46 AM »

Tom,

If you are looking to go to a Mac because of the "problems and glitches" in Win98, you will be sorely disapointed. I'm used Macs that crash just as much if not more than my PCs. Part of your problem is you are using a 10 year old OS, that was terminated for support 3 years ago. I think you will find your new PC to be a much better experience.

Dell has more market share than any other company. I support alot of Dells in the field and I like them. When you purchase a Dell, as an option you can upgrade the onsite warrante 2 three years. I recommend you do that. Also, don't get Vista, get Windows 7 or XP.

I prefer the Pro versions of the OS to the Home versions. If you are experiencing alot of glitches, then I'd recommend you get the Pro version also.

Depending on who's marketshare numbers you believe, Windows has well over 90% of the desktops compared to all other OSs. Therefore most software is written for Windows. Find the program you want to run and see what it wants. Most likely it will be Windows.

Bernie
K2YO
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »

Your problem is that you are using Windows 98.  That was a very buggy operating system even at the peak of it's life.

You need to upgrade to something like Windows 2000, your old Windows 98 computer will probably accept that ok.

For XP or something more current, you will have to check to see if your hardware will accept the upgrade.

As for Apple over the MS PC format, I believe you will find there is less software out there for the Apple systems.  Everything seems to be sort of focused on the PC for Ham Radio invironment.

73's
Gary - W5GNB
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »

Apples market share continue to decline. At some point I believe they will no longer make computers for home use and concentrate on Ipods and Iphones.

Dell market share also continues to decline, while HP has improved their share. The last figures I saw had Dell and HP in a dead heat with Dell slighly ahead.

Getting an Apple for anything except commercial graphics arts is foolish.

It is really foolish to consider Apple for hamradio use as compared to a Win/PC it has very little software.

Stan K9IUQ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:18:27 PM »

Actually, Stan, that's not true. Apple's market share is increasing as a result of the popularity of the iMac. Even PC magazine has commented several times on this very issue.

I agree the software is still an issue in some respects, but even that's getting better in recent months. There's even a version of NEC for the Mac.

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »

I've been using a PC laptop.   It's "off-brand" -- "Computer Data".  It came with Windows Vista, and was slow and sometimes buggy.

I have upgraded to Windows 7.  It is very stable, and faster than Vista.  It runs all my old Windows XP-version ham software perfectly (one exception - WinLog32 has trouble).

If you right-click on a program icon, Windows 7 gives you the option of _analyzing_ the program for compatibility issues, and _automatically_ setting its compatibility switches.  That has saved me a lot of grief!  [I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium; the "professional" version lets you set up a complete Windows XP "virtual environment"!]

So I'd recommend a PC-compatible, running Windows 7.  It will give you the best selection of software, and be plenty stable enough.    

Charles
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »

Wow!  Some of the most bizarre statements about Apple computers that I have ever read -- right here on eHam too, a spot known for the educated and wise of our human ilk.

First, to fix a few of those things.  But, Alan beat me too it on the question of market share.  Yes, Apple's computer market share is increasing and in fact that growth rate itself has been increasing.  Just wait for the rumored tablet/notebook to come out.  Just in the last few days that has spurred a 11 point climb in Apple stock value.

Also, I have been an Apple G5, iMac, and laptop owner for 6 years.  I am also a developer who pushes a computer pretty hard.  I have never (I repeat, NEVER) had a system crash.  And, that is not on just one computer.  There are four Apple computers in this household (iMac 24, iMac 24, 17 inch Mac Book Pro, Dual G5).

OK, off the Apple soapbox.

Those other comments about Windows 98 were spot on -- what are you doing on that old system anyway.  I submit that before you make a decision on Apple versus Windows PC technology that you need to look at a new operating system such as Windows 7.  I think Windows 7 is great (yes, I have it running on three computers, one Windows laptop and two Apple Mac systems via Parallels).  So, I recommend that you compare your look and feel test on Windows 7 versus Apple Mac (Snow Leopard is latest version).

And, those other comments about software are true as well.  I would say that 20 out of 21 times I run across software in the Ham Radio community it is for Windows systems only.  Just a smattering of stuff exists for the Apple Mac.  I do like MacLoggerDX though which I think is a pretty decent logging program for the Mac.

But, I use these Windows only ham radio applications on my Mac computers as well using the Parallels system which allows me to have MS Windows applications running on Windows 7 right along with Apple Mac applications.  This is one a window by window basis and the transition from one operating system to the other is as smooth as clicking on one window versus another.  Note, there are some software for Windows that will not work right under this configuration though on Apple.  For example, the Flex-Radio software that uses Firewire currently is not supported under Parallels.

By the way, on my iMac here at my work desk, I have Windows 7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu Linux, all available for startup.  Technically I can have all of them running at the same time although I have never done that.  I have had Ubuntu, and Windows XP, running simultaneously with my Mac applications though.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

Well - the Bentonville Behemoth has a Windows 7 E-machines box with 6 gigs of memory for $398.00, sans monitor.  

While I have several hi-buck computers for business, the Wal-Mart cheapie keeps up with all of them. Win 7 is far less buggy than the older versions, especially the Mistake Edition and Vista. But 95 and 98 had plenty of problems as well.

It runs all my older ham radio programs; and with the latest iteration of Systweak and Kaspersky anti-virus I have less than $525 in it. Plus a monitor I had. That's a third or less of the cost of a Mac.

And - considering the average life of a computer these days, the E-machines will probably last a couple of days longer than that.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »

Apples are not known for bugs nor crashing, so that's an unusual comment.

We have three Macs in the house, and six Windows machines, and the Macs overall are more reliable; all running Leopard OS at this time.

However, the new "Netbooks" which are laptops oriented towards using the Web, are pretty slick and many have full-blown Windows XP installed, complete with all of its frills.  Not quite Win 7, but pretty close, and some of the major motherboard mfrs like ASUS have them out with a lot of frills and features for $350 or less.

Win 98 is almost 12 years old and in no way compares with what's available today.

Macs are less susceptible to viruses and worms, and once you get used to them (can take a few months of daily use) they're damned slick.  Even their touchpads work better than the Windows machines.  It's cool that to rotate a view with a Mac, you just place your fingertips on the pad and twist them.  That's all you need to do, no mouse clicks or looking for applications.  The Macs have lighted keyboards also, which if you work in dark rooms like I do, is a good feature.

Since we have a pile of computers here in the house, my leaning is towards Mac; however they take a brief adjustment period for sure, and there may be some applications you just won't be able to run.  "Equivalent" Mac applications are generally available, but not always.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »

Macs are less susceptible to viruses and worms - cause you can't even get hackers to write software for Macs :-)
KC5CQW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »

Take a look at the mac mini. Also, the very nice 24" iMacs!
I run 100% apple computers at my qth. There is only ONE ham program that is windoze only that I use and that's Ham Radio Deluxe. Some of the best ham programs are on macs. Just look at W7AY's cocoaModem. Also, the new macs will run windoze programs via crossover, parallels, wine or boot camp.
From someone who has been there as a PC to mac switcher, get the iMac. You will never touch pc again.
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

Windows 7 is less buggy than Windows 98.  While it isn't the most secure or most reliable choice, you will find more software that will run under it.  OTOH, there is a great deal of bloatware in Windows 7--make sure that whatever hardware you have will run it well enough to suit you.

BTW, my experience is that the most reliable machines for running Windows 7 are the Apple MacBook Pros.

Mac OS X is a version of UNIX with a user-friendly GUI.  It is very stable and very secure.  There are eight computers in our household.  Two run Linux, one runs Mac OS 7.5.6, and the rest run either Mac OS 10.5 or 10.6 as a primary OS.  Two of the Macs are set up as multi-boot machines and can run Windows XP, Sun Solaris 10, or Ubuntu 9.0.4.  

I've been using Macs for digital modes and logging for more than 10 years.  If you decide to go with a Mac, I recommend MacLogger DX <dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html>.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »

Either flavor will work now days. There might be a slight advantage in favor of a Windows based machine for ham-oriented software.

Which ever one you get make sure the keyboard has a SHIFT key so that the text can be typed properly with the correct syntax of captial letters to make it more readable Smiley

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

There are very few people here that really know what I did for a living the last 8 years of my working career. And, I'm not going to spill the beans either, because few would believe it. This said....

When you're a 5th level manager, and you have people under you whose job it is to maintain, upgrade, repair, or whatever is needed to the computers used by the staff of an Internet-based business, you assign your folks as they are needed. With that in mind, 1 tech took care of nearly 250 Macs. It took 5 techs to take care of about 225 PC running XP. Go figure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: