Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powering a MacBook Pro w/12 Volts w/o an Inverter  (Read 1547 times)
KG6MZS

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »

Anybody have any experience with this product? It is the 3rd one down on the right:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Pure-DC-Car-Charger-for-MacBook-p/mbp-car.htm

WK5H

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »

Just a warning to the people who want to run their laptops in their vehicles with them...

Even the smoothest of roads, will still give a typical hard disk a significantly shorter life than using a laptop when it's just sitting around on a desk, or a lap.  As the IT guy for a company which has several employees who constantly run their laptops in the vehicles, I can tell you first hand, they go through 5x's the amount of hard drives in their laptop's life cycle as the normal user does.

I'll say this product looks great, though.  Much more efficient than going from 12v, up to 110v, and back down to 12v.

I will say to anyone who's wanting to run their macbook (any laptop, for that matter), consider upgrading to a solid state hard disk.  No moving parts to be destroyed by bumpy roads, and, a much better performance.
VP8DNM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:32:48 AM »

Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short yet again but here goes.

I bought one of those for use afloat with a Macbook. I found it very noisy to such an extent that I had to unplug it to hear virtually any HF at all.

I have replaced it with a  Mini-box DCDC-USB http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB which I have mounted in the enclosure they sell for it. No noise from it at all.

It was a simple matter to adjust the output voltage to the required 16.5 volts using the supplied software running on the VMware Fusion/ Windows side of my Mac.

Only issue was that I had to use the cable from the Hypermac charger to get into the Magsafe socket on the Mac.

I also use a couple of the mini-box 12v-12v power supplies on my Via computer and my LCD screen so as to avoid  all the RFI issues that go with using an inverter.

Hope this helps,
Frank
VK3JFH
VP8DNM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: